2nd hard drive (in PC for a year) causes reset - why?

remluf

Solid State Member
I have two hard drives in my machine. The first contains the operating system & the second drive contains my pictures, music, etc. I back this up onto another hard drive in my other (Win 98) PC once a month. This week when I was in the middle of this, my XP PC reset & kept doing so, only reaching as far as just before the login screen appears. Then a blue screen of death appears for a flash & it resets again. Afer searching for the cause I took out the 2nd hard drive & it was ok. I reconnected it to an extrernal case and the problem returned, so it is the drive. How can I get over this problem, why is it doing it and how do I get to the files in this (NTSC) drive?

NTSC? That's a TV format.... *snickers* I think you mean NTFS

Anyway, I had a boot sector virus once, and it caused much the same problem. I bet if you could run a virus scan on each drive(with the other disconnected from the system) though dos or some bootable virus scan disk, you could fix it up...

Second hard drive causing repeated reset.

Oops I meant NTFS.
If I install Windows to this drive, won't it erase all my files?

Reisntalling windows won't mess up your other drive unless you format it. You can repair windows on your main drive, but I don't think that would fix it. As for if you have a restore disk with your comp, that would probably erase everything.

What you need? I'm really not sure what is best to be used with NTFS. Perhaps some newer version of Norton would have the bootable untilities...

The problem is that the reset happens every time I connect the drive, either internally as it was, or externally via a case & usb. I tried booting from the XP CD & got an error flpydisk.sys is corrupted. Without the drive in, Windows powers up normally.
I have tried the drive on another XP PC & that one reset too.
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310396 is what actually happens, but only with the hard drive attached.

Back
Top Bottom