One big Hard drive or two smaller ones

amy9621

Beta member
I have a friend calling me stupid for buying one large hard drive of 120 and telling me I should've bought 2 60 gigs hard drives and pay the extra $20. So which is better? To have one big hard drive of 120 gig or two smaller hard drives of 60 gigs. The reason for this is that I canuse one drive as a back up drive. However, I'm already using 100 gig of my 120.

Damn you have a lot of stuff o_O Really, your friend is stupid seeing as you can buy a larger drive and partition it into smaller sections(say 60 and 60 if you wish) RAID would be the only advantage I'd see to having 2 drives... It's apparently a bit faster than a single drive.

Normally, a harddrive doesn't fail completely. More just software bugs than anything. I guess the absolute safest way would be to have another HD that isn't even connected untill you run a backup or restore it.

if you know how to set up raid then go with 2x 60gb hard drives instead.... if you have i 120gb hard drive the transfer rates will take longer, ecspecially if you use IDE interface. if you dont know how to set up raid then just go with 120gb, it should just suit you just fine if you use it for daily useage and work

what i would do if i had the money (its only the money) is have one 120Gb for music/games etc.. 1 80GB for o/s and progs and another 120 for c**p

Yeah; unless you can do RAID on it its not worth doing. Partitioning will do it; but for an extra $20? I suppose you'd have to do a lot of downloading and game playing to make that worth it.

you could just go w/the one drive, and save everything you like to data disks...then if the drive crashes , you'll allways have a backup.

i have everything that was ever installed or ran on my comp.....backed up on dvd data disks....

i don't let all that stuff stay on my hhd, taking up space....and your comp. will thank you by remaining fast, take it you have lot's of memory...

Back
Top Bottom