P4 2.66
512mb DDR SDRAM
120 GIG HD
350 PSU
1DVDBURN
1DVD DRIVE
1WIRELESS G NETWORK CARD
RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB

I just got this new Radeon 9700 128 mb pro the other day - right now it's causing some major heartache. I discovered that my previous 250 PSU was too weak so I upgraded, temporarily, to a 350 just to see if it would work. It got rid of the slow slow refresh speed, but now I'm getting blue screens. Various blue screen msgs include:

DRiver_irql_not_less_or_equal in ndis.sys
Page filling in nonpage filling(? something to that effect)

Now whats happening, is that my CS is good, i'm getting good fps, but it feels not as smooth yaknow? And then also, the game quits after 10-15 minutes of playing. I've tried to update my SiS Accelerated Graphics Port driver, I've got the newest ATI driver (minus catalyst control thing), I've upgraded my network card...and now i'm down to the wire as to what else I can do. I've read so many posts on this subject, but there seems to be no distinct agreement on an answer. Should I try to go for a 450-500 PSU? Should I flash my BIOS? Should I get new RAM? Should I get a new CPU fan? Should I get an additional cooling device for my RADEON 9700 card?

Additional info:

The video card itself has an additional cable for a connect to the PSU. Apparently, it wants you to connect the cable to the PSU through the harddrive...so right now what I'm doing is I have a cable connecting between the PSU to the harddrive that has a connection to the video card. I suppose I can trying a higher PSU but the recommended PSU is only 300 Watts so I thought 350 would be enough.

I've also noticed that counterstrike (3d game on opengl) runs fine for the first 10-15 minutes, but gradually becomes more choppy until either 1)it just suddenly quits or 2)the video processing becomes so incredibly slow on my end that movement isn't registered until seconds later and then video distortions occur such as kaliedoscopic colors that fits over the normal colors of the game (walls in the game turn rainbow colored). When the 2nd happens, I'm able to minimize the game without problems but doing so doesn't correct the distortions.

I'm going to try disabling Norton next and then do memtest86 later...but straight up based on my personal experience with this, it almost seems as if my computer is gradually being overloaded? Like a eating food ya know? As you eat, you become less hungry until finally you just can't eat anymore and you stop. I know this is such a weird perception of a computer's processing, but at the same time, that's what I'm feeling from it.

Any help will be appreciated - thanks a lot!

Tian

I had the same exact problem with mine, the way I solved it was I reinstalled the video card, updated the driver + the newest catalyst. I have no clue why it happens though, but it bugged me for about a year before I got it fixed. ATI Technical support tried to help me, but couldn't. I am thinking they work best on specific systems, but, I have no clue which systems that would be.

So yea, just double check on the drivers and the catalyst versions.

Thanks alot for your quick reply -

I've actually done so much for this card already lol. The day that I got it, I uninstalled my old Nvidia card completely and upgraded my SiS Accelerated Graphics Port driver to the newest version. Then I installed my card and then put in the included CD and installed the Catylast driver and then I upgraded the driver which...didn't help. I didn't like that new catalyst CLI.EXE thing that keeps trying to access the internet so I downloaded the version that didn't have it but yea...no good at all it seems...did tech support try anything else? At first I thought it might have been due to like not enough pagefile space? But I released and retried that and it didn't help...but yea...I'm not too happy with this card right now although i really really really really wanna be happy with it!!! Any other suggestions'll be appreciated it! Thanks!

Tian

Also - winamp visualizations are having troubles...i can't maximize which was a test i used to do all the time to test the limits of a video card...what would that mean? Thanks!

Tian

my system is an AMD Athlon 2700+
I got the latest drivers of both of the ATI Radeon 9700 and the catalyst which I downloaded from the ATI website. Sorry I dont feel like typing in the numbers, but i think its something like 63. something for the card driver and the cat version is I dont know, it was the only one on the site though, so yea.

I never had any problems with winamp though, maybe you have a bad card? Or did you already call tech support about that one? Because when I called, that was the first thing I asked and they said it wasn't bad, but winamp worked just fine for me and still does, so I dunno, sorry :(

Anyways, I tried to uninstall it all right with driver cleaner 3 and installed Omega drivers this time but it still gives me the same error. I got smart and decided to see if Steam has its own log of the error and I found this in the cs errorlog folder:

>>>
Error:Failed_to_load_dialog_file_Resource/UI/ClassMenu.res

Function_trace:
CGameUI::Start
CGameUI::Initialize
CBaseUI::Start
CBaseUI::Initialize
Host_Init
CFileSystem_Steam::Mount()
>>>

I have 00031.txt error logs and they seem to correspond to my crashes so I'm guessing that apparently means something to someone? But not i...

Here's a picture of the 2nd unique thing that happens with my card - the first being that the program just quits itself, the second is in this picture:

pic: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~tianlian/vidproblem.JPG

Please post back if u have any RELEVANT suggestions, thanks

Tian

wow that's messed up, nope never had that problem, good luck finding a solution buddy :)

i'd suggest you RMA the card.

Did you try hooking up the power connector to the PSU directly?? perhaps it's not being given enuf power??

Only other thing that comes to mind is that you used to own a NVidia card before. A lot of people hav lots of trouble when they switch between these two companies. But since u used driver cleaner 3, i doubt that this is the problem.

Just try downloading the newest driver from ATI's site. and if that doesn't work, sorry.
RMA time.

Back
Top Bottom