Compressing Large Files

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi All,

I'm having a problem.

I just had someone fancy up my new e-book with real photos & colour & whatnot & now it's up to the size of 20 MB.

WinZipping it doesn't help & I need to compress it so much that I'm stuck whether I should use Total Commander or WinRAR.

First I need to be able to send it to people & eventually I will be uploading it onto my server & people will be downloading it from there, but it still needs to be easy to manage. With my other manuals I use Total Commander to do that using their self extracting feature, but none of the files I have on my server are as big as this new one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks & have a great day !

Michelle

hi there again. WinRar is quite good, i use that alot at home and its the best i feel because it uses up all the types of comprestion programs.

What board should I place the question in? I didn't find something else that made sense.

I'm trying to figure out how to use WinRaR. How much more does it compress then normal WinZip, & can I still use Total Commander to make up a self extracting file?

Thanks & TTYL :)

Michelle

~~~NETUSER~~~ said:
Wrong board.

You can sometimes find some hugely compressing DOS Applications, but generally they're custom made. Personally; 20Megs is not that much. I have seen vastly larger PDF Books - you could easily send that through MSN, and downloading it from a Server would be even easier and quicker.

<<< Thread Moved to General Computer Hardware and Software >>>

About the best you can do with most compression utilties is 50%-at 20 megs in size as a download from the net only broadband users are going to download your file. Dial up is almost an hour download or more.
As a broadband user myself it wouldn't matter to me if its 20 or 100 megs if I want it. The time difference becomes irrelevent. The sp2 patch took 45 minutes at 300 megs but I wanted it so I waited.
Id go with the most used compression utility which is still winzip. Your users won't have difficulty thru a broad spectrum of operating systems.

Thanks. I ended up using TC again b/c of the self extracting feature.

Take care

Michelle :)

Back
Top Bottom