I'm upgrading my computer

Ermac936

Baseband Member
Mobo game port/power supply question

I'm some what profiecient with computers. I could tell you what a SIMM DIMM and RIMM is. I'm trying to upgrade my motherboard and I want something good. I was looking at newegg.com and I want to spend about 50-100. Now the problem is when I look at motherboards I don't see any place to place my Sidewinder comtroller. My current mobo has the piece on board. How do I know what motherboard has the controller slot? Can I just wank it off my current mobo?

Motherboard: Matsonic MS9526E (not exact)
ATX
Socket 478 (Pentium 4)
up to 400mhz fsb

Also my power supply said 250WW. Is that 250 watts? I need a power supply that is ATX12V complient. Where does it say that on the power supply?

well a SIMM is a Single Inline Memory Module, DIMM is Dual Inline Memory Module (youll want to settle with DIMM) and RIMM is Rambus Inline Memory Module, i think....
about your power supply, youll know if its ATX12V if it has that 20 "square" plug-in. also if i were you, i wold upgrade to atleast a 350w power supply, itll help.
now, does your sidewinder controller use a serial plug? usb? lol, and no you cant yank the plug off of your mobo or youll destoy it. all mobos should have serial and usb. i its an older one, it might have serial only, which works fine. if your controller is using a serial plug, all mobos should have it (unless its a complete piece of crap). serial is the kinda bulky 9 pin plug.... usb is the slim rectangular plug (it dosent use pins).
i hope what i have said has helped you.:D lol

and about the memory, SIMM is the memory module with the RAM on one side of the pcb (green chip). DIMM has it on both sides. youll probably want to 184pin dimm with atleast 256mb for general use, and 512 or higher for games... im not sure about RIMM other than the fact that its more expensive and some mobos arent compatible with it.
Newer mobos use the 184pin ddr dimm and older ones use 168pin ddr sdram which has less pins and is cheaper but not as fast.

Maybe u should learn a bit more by sticking around here and then u can build a totally kwl system.

Nemesis said:
Maybe u should learn a bit more by sticking around here and then u can build a totally kwl system.

lol yeah you can do that too.....the ppl here are nice and are pretty cool lol :D

I have a sidewinder for my computer, Microsoft Game Controller.

Most motherboards that have a built-in sound card, also have a game port. So, that is usually not an issue.

And if it is a serial or USB version, the same applies, no problem. As most motherboards also come with serial and USB.

As for the RAM, get more over speed. It is better to have a 512 module at lower speeds vs. 256 at a faster speed.

For more information on speed and those numbers, see:
www.kingston.com

So my power supply is 250 watts then? Ok I'll get a 350W ATX12V complient one then.

And the controller plugs into the MIDI port, not serial. It needs a 15-pin female port. I looked around and I can just get a pci sound card with one and never worry about it again.

Ermac936 said:
Is that a bad idea?

well im actually talking about your power supply..... and make sure you dont get some crappy brand like powmax. i would suggest Antec, Aspire, and Raidmax. themaltake also works well.....
about your game controller, i guess your solution works ok...:) not sure, so i cant give you any advice on that :(

Back
Top Bottom