Pentium III problems..

mrav

Beta member
a friend gave me a pc last night: pentium 3 (500mghz), 128 ram, etc..
it has win 95 installed, but when i try to turn it on it displays an error, that system disk should be inserted.. i currently don't have win95.. even if i have, i won't install it, i want linux..
so i tried to install linux, i inserted a linux cd in the cd-rom, and restarted the pc.. nothing happened, it just doesn't recognize the cd, so i went to bios settings.. everything there was OK.
i also tried to use another hard drive with already installed os (win2000)
.. nothing.., also i have original windows xp cd.. it doesnt recognize it also..
i'll be so thankful if anybody here can help me.. Thanks!

Dimitar.

You will have to make sure in the bios is can boot from a CD. If it cant make sure it boots from a floppy with a command to use files from the CD since its a old machine.

fd

thanks for the help
but where i can find diskette with the files needed ?
or diskette, which installs windows xp from non-bootable cd-rom - like mine

If it's a PIII, it should have the capabilty to boot off the CD. You probably need to enable it within the bios. It should say something about it when you first turn the machine on. Usally delete, F1, etc... The menus are all different, depending on your brand and all. Some will have hte boot order under Advanced Settings. Some will have a separate menu for it. Just look around.

Back
Top Bottom