Computer.... sllloowwww

hoppy

Beta member
Hey,
can anyone help me out here?

He uses a ATHLON XP 2GB ON V266B MB (but got it upgraded) to 57GB

(ok he has no idea what Graphixx card or anything he has)

sorry for the lack of information.

but anyway,

his computer started to run a bit slow about 2 months ago, where i could play my online games (Diablo) well enough to not make me destroy the computer. but the computer has just been getting slower... and slower.... and slower as time goes on. now about 2 months on from being able to play my games, the computer has becone TOO SLOW to be able for me to play the game.

We have Aol 9 with 1MB broadband, so i know that this isnt the problem,
but the computer is starting to take the piss out off me by going soo slow. even though he has 1MB Broadband, the pages that i try to view take far too long to load, where as on my computer, (just upstairs) the pages open almost instantly.

Dose anyone know what he can buy/do to improve the speed of his computer.

He runs Disk Defrag all the time, and also runs Ad-Aware and his virus scan.... almost every day?

If you can, then can you PLEASE give me some suggestions on how i will be able to upgrade the speed of my computer.
i dont paticually want to buy a new computer... but if i have to then i will.. Rather not though?

If you can help, please reply to this message, which should hopefully send me an e-mail telling me you have answered...

Or just send a reply to radalands@aol.com

I hope you will be able to help me out

Thanks Alot Guys

Regards

Chris

First of all who is "he." Well it doesn't really matter. Anyways, has he updated his video card drivers lately. Also what is the speed of the XP CPU? If you wanna speed up your PC, you could get a new videocard, and if your CPU is really slow, a new CPU and MOBO. You could upgrade you hard drive(s), but I don't think that would make a huge difference. If you have any more questions let me know.

go to run type msconfig and click on the startup tab and uncheck the boxes. uncheck them one at a time and restart in between should sped up ur start up and will speed up everything if theres a bunch

Good tip tater:
Many things can cause a computer to slow down from virus's to spyware. Spyware is getting very sophisticated at hiding. If your computer was running fine then a format and reinstall of windows might be in order if you do not have a good number of internet spyware and adware tools.

Hijackthis is another program that allows you to do much the same things as msconfig, but tends to be a bit better. Really sped up my XP2000 machine's boot time.

AOL is horrible about loading lots of junk on your comp(I think it's a cache problem) so look around for those folders and try to clean them out.

Yes, Like gary I would prob recommend reformatting, and also type msconfg in start>>run (in the startup tab) to control what programs start up when u turn ure computer on....
To check whaty kind of display adapter and other things "He" has got download>>>>>Aida32>>>>>A great program that tells u everything about your computer

originally posted by:tater salad
go to run type msconfig and click on the startup tab and uncheck the boxes. uncheck them one at a time and restart in between should sped up ur start up and will speed up everything if theres a bunch

by unchecking some of the boxxes in startup-tab could cause his computer to freeze up, and also some of them have to run.....

if you uncheck a system function, it will reboot & ask you to put it back the way it was...

if you want to speed things up, do a de-frag, and clean out all junk files.
such as internet cookies, temp folders, and do a reg. clean once in a while.

you might want to defrag your comp too, it gives you some space that your files missed when it gets written into the hard drive.....

Just download spybot search and destroy and ad aware off of download.com and lavasoft.com. They are free and the will clean the junk off your computer

Same problem

guyz i have the same problem i want to do another administrator.
but it comes very sllow.

Details

Windows Xp home edition version 2002
pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.06 GHz 3.07
512 of Ram
service pack 1
120 GB hard drive

PC Name: Acer Aspire RC500

Back
Top Bottom