Router Networking help

slayerandwicca

Solid State Member
Hi everyone can you please help. I have two pc's, one windows xp and one windows 98. They both have network cards, and are plugged into my Mentor ADSL Modem Router. They can both use the internet fine but hey cant share files and printers between each other. They dont detect each other. Please help!!!!!

From Tim

Ah. Windows98 doesn't like sharing. It wasn't programmed for network sharing so it can't really share (I know it says it can, but it's friggin impossible)

You may be able to do something from the XP machine, though, but I doubt it.

Why would you need to do this anyways? Just set a drive in one of the PC's as a network drive (say the C: of the XP machine) and allow all users on the win98 machine to save their stuff to the XP C: by default, then you use the printer connected to the XP machine to print the shit.

Also, try print-servers ... may be worth taking into account.

Sorry if this ain't much use :p I aren't really that good with networking.

Yarr. Could be a problem with XP and Win98 not being able to network to each other?? You'd be better off running NT or XP on your 98 machine ... that way you'd have no problems.

Check that all the correct shit is installed for both the network cards, though.

Reet. I imagine you've got them to look for eachother? If so, I stand by the fact that XP and 98 won't go together

yes 98 and xp can share files and network!

all you gotta do is setup your IPs,

then you'd go to my computer, go to computer name,and make sure that your workgoups are the same on both pcs!!!

no need to change the OS!

You're probably thinking of Win98SE

If the guy is on about the original Win98, it won't work. Trust me, we had our entire network upgraded because of networking issues between XP and 98

Back
Top Bottom