Internet Problem

Chris Bickley

Solid State Member
I have just recently brought a new laptop and i am trying to get onto the internet. I am using an external Ethernet modem and have managed to connect. Everything is fine. The modem is working and there are no problems getting connected.

However i try to load up a web page using IE6 but all that comes is 'Page Cannot Be Displayed'.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what is wrong and is there anything i can do?

I am using windows XP.

Any feedback would be great, Cheers

It could be a firewall built into your anti-virus preventing this....Or the Windows XP Built in firewall....You could also try downloading Mozilla Firefox...Does things like MSN Messenger and P2P work???

Havent got an anti virus program on my new computer at the moment. I'll check about the firewall.

Messenger doesn't work either.

It sounds like you don't have it connected correctly to your computer. Is it cable or DSL? Make sure you have all the settings in network proporties correct if it's cable. I'm not as familar with ethernet DSLs, but I assume you are actually dialing in.

Something else that might be worth checking out is that it works on some other computer. I doubt this is the problem, but if you have access to another, it couldn't hurt.

I think it is DSL and i have checked the connection and everything is fine. The computer says there are no problems.

Sounds silly but check your explorer by typing an address directly into the address bar. Ive had many customers who thought they had no internet because the msn home page was offline.-It was actually under a dos attack. Or try something from my favorites.
You also might need to run the net wizard to connect-start\programs\accessories\communications\network setup wizard.

I have tried typing in adresses and it still doesn't work. I may try the connection wizard.

Anyone think it could be Spyware?

DSL uses a phoneline, cable uses the coaxial from your TV cable. I beleive with a DSL modem, you have to access it and enter all your info(user/pass, etc) With a cable modem, all the info should be entered into network settings.

Have you ever entered anything? If not, that could be your problem. Even if your comp is connected to the modem, it might not see it yet because of mis-configured network settings and such

It is a DSL modem and i have entered in all the relative info. I am thinking it could be Spyware or the browser.

Back
Top Bottom