free firewalls

I keep having to say this -_- Anyways, here be the cold truth.

BlackICE - Bugger me... got to be the most insecure firewall on the net.
Sygate - almost as bad as BlackICE :S I used it, did a test and it didn't even work.
Outpost Pro - Now there's a firewall :p I'm using it now, and it works perfectly.
ZoneAlam - Toooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooow ...
McA - ... you get what you pay for.

Don't be fooled when people tell you to get a hardware firewall, either. THERE'S NO SUCH THING. All a "hardware firewall" is is a software firewall on a piece of hardware. It does, however, have an advantage. The fact that it is on a separate "machine" means that it can pay closer attention to things, where-as PC so-called "software firewalls" have to do more work and spread out more.

The hard truth is, nothing will keep you safe... if a "hacker" wants to get in, he will. Firewalls are unstable programs and can easily be crashed. Sure, they're good enough to keep skiddies out, but there's no point blowing £40 on a firewall that does the same as a free one.

Hope this helps :p

avoid "free" firewalls. often they put spyware or trojans on your comp.

hardware firewalls are the best.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Compatable with AOL!

What about getting rid of AOL; and using the Extra Money to give to charity - and using a proper ISP to get Shareaza and Download a proper Firewall like McAfee - then when you have the money buy it properly.

yes and AOL isnt even standard TCP/IP!!!!

Back
Top Bottom