Reeaaly bad HD problem

Battousai

Beta member
This one comes in many stages :

So I have a secondary drive that's plugged on a usb port

1) I tried to install Linux on my secondary HD drive. There's a problem during the problem. Thinking it's only because of a bad burning , I reset the PC

2) On Windows , all my secondary drive has disapeared! I Open Partition magic and the whole HD is labelled as BAD

3) I'm able to recover my data with GetDataBack

4)Using the win xp install cd , I erase the drive letter.

5)Now comes the big problem : when I plug my HD and then run the computer, it crashes during the Windoiws initialisation!
It even crashes when I launch the win xp installation ! It means I can't fixmbr the thing!

6)When I plug it later , Partition magic will detect it , but not the installation program.

Please ,tell me what to do T_T

Ok here's what I tried to do since then:

I plugged the HD on a IDE cable in a computer with WIN 98SE.
The same thing happens : Windows won't lauch . Also , all disk management programs , like FDISK or FIXMBR won't lauch either!

I rekon a problem with the hard drive itself. If it is still under gaurntee, get it returned/replaced.

The thing is , before trying to install linux , it worked perfectly.

I will try to get it remplaced

Nope can't format it.

I do have DOS , but in the process , the drive lost his letter , and it means I can't input format x:

And Windows Drive manager doesn't see the Drive either, so I can't give it a letter.

Partition magic sees it , but when I try to format , it says there's a problem. Indeed the MBR is screwed , but every single drive manager I tried crashes when I launch with the drive plugged.

Owch.

Not even in another PC as a slave using disk management?

If it registers in another PC, do a scandisk on it and it should repair bad sectors. Ultimately it could be totally screwed... :(

Also try safe mode! :)

Yup ,even as a slave it doesn't work.

I can't do a scandisk or whatever , Windows won't even launch. And I tried as a slave , master , primary and secondary.

That is a bugger. Without the Drive Letter its dreadful. You should send it back; and if they send you a new of fixed version then you should count your lucky stars and not Install Linux again :D

Back
Top Bottom