AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
64-bit. :p

I was going to buy a Pentium; but I couldn't turn down the possibility of a 64-bit Computer which will help me with any new 64-bit software that may be released before Intel 64-bitters come out. This was actually more expensive than the Pentium 3.2 at the time :D

alvino said:
haha oh well i still think that AMD is better... but whatever...... :p

If you compare a AMD 64-3200+ to a Pentium 3.2 (I think this is the comparison) then obviously the AMD is better, and programs + games arn't even taking advantage of the 64 bit yet.

But comparing a AMD XP 3200+ to a Pentium 3.2.......... Hmm....... I think it's time for me to do some more research, I'll get back to you guys.

The test does show that running one application at a time, the AMD has a slight edge at stock speeds. When running more than one app, something running in the background etc The P4 DESTROYS ANY AMD.

Then there's the Overclocking, my 3.2Ghz works all day long @ 4195Mhz and can go to 4300 If I push up the voltage a bit more.

Run those same benchmarks on an O/C AMD against the far superior O/C P4 and see which is faster.

p.s. I'm putting a new AMD64 togesther as a folding machine, wont be my main machine, there just not as good. (had both)

by the end of 2006 there maybe a reasonably stable O/S for 64 bit although it will probably be a little longer judging by past windows releases.

By the end of 2006, what machines will be around. Think back to what you had 12 months ago, then 2 years ago. By the time 64-bit windows is stable your 64bit machine will look like the machine you had 2 years ago. Not too pretty is it.

This has been one of the arguments against the AMD64, your paying for something that isn't being used, and when it does have the chance to shine, newer machines will still make it look average at best.

Still going to put one together after that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom