to host A WEBSITE ON MY PC

naveen

Beta member
I Want To Host Some Websites On A Server Which Is Connected To Web By A Broadband Internet Access With Static Ip Adress I Want To Host A Website On This Server.what I Have To Do For It.

Do you have a domain? Register your nameservers with your domain registrar to point them to your IP, download apache (apache.org) we server which will serve your pages and that is about it.

Yeh, some apache and php config. Very simple to setup. But you may find it a little slow for users to acess :( so, if you want some free/cheap hosting PM me.

naveen said:
I Want To Host Some Websites On A Server Which Is Connected To Web By A Broadband Internet Access With Static Ip Adress I Want To Host A Website On This Server.what I Have To Do For It.

I don't know if that's going to work out for you...

Two issues come to mind:
1. Broadband providers often restrict certain services based on their default ports (port 80 for HTTP - port 110 for POP mail, etc...). It may or may not be done that way, but nevertheless, I used to try and set up a simple utility page for myself on my broadband network and it would not allow me to view my pages outside of my home network (even with a verified IP address).

2. Your IP address is likely to not be permanent - the ISP will likely change it at some point to refresh their available IP pool.

Even if it does work, you'll need to make sure you've got security well set up and the latest patches or a well configured firewall in place. It's just like painting a target on your head these days...

You could also try a commercial free web hosting service... they are all over the place - look for the most reputable ones you can find.

Good luck with your site!

Yo.

Owkeje. You'll need some kinda server program, aye... like apache or that PHP one. Problem is, apache is a hazzard to your PC :p If someone sends a non-HTTP request to your domain, your PC is fucked mate.

If port 80 is blocked, ask them to open it. If they don't, you can use port 2380 or something.

If you do happen to have a dynamic IP, go to no-ip.com and register. They give you a domain and track your server/PC wherever you go. Otherwise, a static IP should only cost an extra £/$1 / month with a 5-10 set-up fee.

I do recommend you get some hosting with someone else, though... unless you want to host MP3/Vid files ¬_¬

[EDIT]

About it being slow... that's untrue :p I know people who have run hosting businesses off DSL connections... put it this way, a 1mb/s connection can serve 3000 people comfortably, provided the page isn't too heavy.

Terencentanio said:
Yo.

Owkeje. You'll need some kinda server program, aye... like apache or that PHP one. Problem is, apache is a hazzard to your PC :p If someone sends a non-HTTP request to your domain, your PC is fucked mate.

If port 80 is blocked, ask them to open it. If they don't, you can use port 2380 or something.

Assuming port 80 is blocked, he'll still have to redirect to "2380" or go to the trouble of setting up a site forwarding page externally that redirects the URL he sets up to such an unusual port.

If you do happen to have a dynamic IP, go to no-ip.com and register. They give you a domain and track your server/PC wherever you go. Otherwise, a static IP should only cost an extra £/$1 / month with a 5-10 set-up fee.

Good suggestion re: the dynamic IP fix. Some broadband providers just don't make it that easy... mine is really hard to deal with (they're a cable company first - Internet provider second). They don't really like to bend their policies to please most customer's whims unfortunately. Hopefully he's going to have an easier time of it.

I do recommend you get some hosting with someone else, though... unless you want to host MP3/Vid files ¬_¬

About it being slow... that's untrue :p I know people who have run hosting businesses off DSL connections... put it this way, a 1mb/s connection can serve 3000 people comfortably, provided the page isn't too heavy.

I'd surely hate to know that my hosting was being done off someone's home or even business DSL line!!! That's just not even worth debating. Speaking from personal experience, hosting companies without a datacenter or at least dedicated and redundant connections (minimum of 2 T3 lines - minimum!) are not doing anything good for the reputation of the hosting industry. If they were truly running a business off a DSL line, they must have had an extremely reliable connection, optomized web pages (with just text and small graphic files) and very patient site visitors.

Why do you think providers pay so MUCH for dedicated lines, routers, switches, UPS, generators, cooling, etc...? Terencentanio, you're entitled to your opinions, but I have to go on record as saying I think you're truly mistaken about the viability of doing business hosting modern web sites without high-end connectivity resources.

Regards,

Fair and well.

www1.fegame.com is run off a 1mb/s connection in sweden and there're usually a total of 2000-3000 people using it at one time.

I have run numerous webservers on my home DSL line and they've worked fine. My mate Gabe who owns code-blue.no-ip.com runs those servers from his house on a DSL line and he has no complaints.

If he wants his PC to work as a server, the trouble won't be a problem.

I used to co-own a small ISP with someone and I aid in the running of a hosting business. I aren't just some nubje who got the internet 2 days ago. I speak from personal experience... and after all, experience is worth more than anything written down.

Back
Top Bottom