Keyboard problem

pals08609

Solid State Member
I have windows XP pro installed on a pentium 4 2.8 ghz. the keyboard does not work and I can't get into the bios. but I can get into Windows XP pro, but the keyboard is not in the device manager because I uninstalled it.
I can't even reinstall windows XP because the keyboard does not work! and when it ask me to enter to continue to install my keyboard is still inactive.

Its probably a USB keyboard. and most likely your mobo doesnt support USB keyboards during Startup.

In that case you would need to get a Ps/2 keyboard for 10 bucks or so.

Yeh ps2 keyboards are mega cheap, i got mine for £3 which is about $5 or so not bad Eh :D

yeah, what kinda keyboard are you using? definitely sounds like you have a USB keyboard. PS/2 keyboards are solid

Hi again
My keyboard is a PS/2 and I've got a couple of them, so I can rule out the keyboard being faulty, in the device manager it shows no drivers for a keyboard and in control panel under keyboard under the hardware tag there is no device driver, I am typing this message on another computer with the said keyboard

paul

hmm
tried plugging in another keyboard?
if that fails then try a USB kb. if that doesnt work i'd reinstall windows again, especially if its off a fast burnt CDR of a copy- if thats the case burn slowly with no other apps running.

I'd thought of using a USB keyboard , but at present I have not found a friend with one yet! I've tried the rest of your suggestions, but every time I go to the device manager the status shows "this device cannot start (code 10) I've search the net only to get a link to microsoft site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258797. to be quite honest I don't really understand all that there saying because this article does not exactly match what I'm asking?

Paul

Check its plugged in properly?

Might be a dodgey socket on your motherboard so trying a USB keyboard may work. :D

Thanks to you all, between all of us I now have a keyboard that is working
once again thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom