Dvd-rw

FuRgy

BSOD
Hey,
I am going to buy a DVD-RW Drive...I have no knowledge in buying DVD-RW drive's so if you guys could help me I'd be grateful. First of all what is the average/good proce for an 8X DVD-R/RW Drive??? And second of all I have successfully copied a DVD to my hardrive using DVD Shrink. I have no DVD-RW Drive at the moment and when I open Nero there is no options for me saying Burn A DVD. There is Burn a Video CD, MP3 Disc etc etc. Is this because I have not got the DVD-R/RW Drive installed on my computer....because I dont want to spend money on a DVD-RW drive and then find out that it does not even work. I would be very :(. I know this isn't a CD/DVD forum but as you guys are soooo clever, I was thinking you would know something??
Thanks to anyone who reads/replies.

the best thing to do in check out consumer report.com
i think that's it...they rate the top 10 of all sorts of things including dvd drives...

How much should a good DVD-RW Drive 8X cost though?? I don't want to get ripped of or anything :(

Make sure you get one that does all formats. They are relatively cheap now that dual layer has came out.

Look for one that say DVD +-R +-RW. That way you will be able to use all formats.

Ok, Thanks Nemisis, Airox...I was looking in a shop earlier on today and it was £50 for 8X Speed....I'm quite sure it had all formats written on it...But I don;t remember if it was sony....I will look some time this week.
Thanks again...Also does anyone nkow about the nero Problem...I have read guides on how to copy DVD's to disk using nero---
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm
However, It says there that I have to create a new compilation and make sure the tab says DVD not CD.
" Choose DVD from the drop-down menu, and select DVD-Video as the compilation type. Click the New button to open up the DVD layout view"
I have no drop down menu when I launch Nero classic!!!Why? If this is because I have no DVD-RW Drive installed then fair enough...But I dont want to waste money on a drive and then realize that I can't even copy DVD's....

NEC Double Layer 8x DVD Dual R/RW DVD Writer - OEM
£37.99
£44.64 inc VAT

Product Information
NEC have recently launched the NEC ND2510 Dual Layer DVD writer. This drive can write up to 8.5Gb of data to a single sided dual layer disc. The disc in question has two layers of dye bonded together, with a reflective surface behind them. The drive is NEC's first dual 8x DVD recording that supports 8x write speed for DVD-R and DVD+R media as well as 4x write or rewrite with DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Besides DVD recording, the drive writes CD-R media with 32x speed as well as Ultra-Speed CD-RW discs at 16x. The read speed of 12x for DVD-ROM and 40x for CD-ROM in combination with the access time of 140 ms for DVD and 120ms for CD comprise the most important 9 optical storage functions in 1 drive – the ideal all in one optical device

The ND2510A delivers high-speed write and re-write functions, and is one of the first dual format drives to support DVD +R9, the new double layer standard. This allows users the flexibility to choose a wider range of DVD R media without compromising performance or storage capacity.

Hello again..I want to purchase my DVD-RW Drive from this store..Their website is-
http://www.advancetec.co.uk/
I am thinking about purchasing this one-

PIONEER DVR-107/A07DVD +/-R/RW 8X IDE RETAIL BOX

Product Details

The Pioneer DVR-107 is a 8x8 dual format DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW writer, meaning it is capable of writing at 8X speed on DVD-R and DVD+R discs whose standard is being ratified in the DVD Forum and +R discs that are designed for this recording speed. The new drives also records high-speed DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4X speed, and CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 24X speed. By supporting the DVD Forum's DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats, Pioneer is helping to eliminate format confusion, which has become a growing problem for potential buyers.

Product Features:

Writes:

DVD-R 4.7 GB, DVD-RW 4.7GB, DVD+R 4.7GB, DVD+RW 4.7GB

CD-R 700MB (Type 80), CD-R 650MB (Type 74), CD-RW, High Speed CD-RW

Reads:

DVD-ROM & DVD-Video (Single & Dual Layer)

DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM

CD-ROM Mode 1, CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (Form1, Form2)

CD-DA CD-Extra (CD Plus), Video CD (VCD), Photo-CD (Single or Multi-session)

CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW

Write Speed:

DVD-R: 8X Z-CLV (8X DVD-R media), 6X (8X DVD-R media), 4X (4X DVD-R media), 2X, 1X

DVD-RW: 4X (4X DVD-RW media, 2X (2X DVD-RW media), 1X

DVD+R: 8X Z-CLV (8X DVD+R media), 6X (8X DVD+R media), 4X (4X DVD+R media, 2.4X

DVD+RW: 4X (4X DVD+RW media), 2.4X

CD-R: 24X Z-CLV, 16X, 8X, 4X

CD-RW: 24X Z-CLV (Ultra-Speed CD-RW media), 16X, 10X, 4X

Read Speed:

DVD-ROM (Single): Max 12X CAV

DVD-ROM (Dual): Max 8X CAV

DVD-R, DVD-RW: Max 8X CAV

DVD+R, DVD+RW: Max 8X CAV

DVD-RAM: 2X CLV

DVD-Video: 2X CLV

CD-ROM: Max 40X CAV (Mode 1)

CD-R, CD-RW: Max 32X CAV

CD-DA (DAE): Max 40X CAV

CD Audio: Max 9.3X CAV

Interface:

Atapi / IDE (PIO MOde4/Multi Word DMA Mode2), Ultra DMA 33 (Ultra DMA Mode2)

Audio Interface:

Analog Out

Data Buffer:

2MB Cache

Mounting Orientation:

Horizontal and Vertical

System/Software Requirements:

PC Pentium/AMD Based Compatible Computer

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Model:

Pioneer DVR-107

Remember, I would like one that copys/reads ALL formats and the price £60 MAX...Do you think the one above is a good one, or should ibuy another one???

Back
Top Bottom