pc keeps rebooting by itself!!

OneWizard

Baseband Member
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I just built a pc on the weekend (and i built the same one a few weeks ago which worked fine) with specs:

XP2800+
Gigabyte 7N400-L
160GB hdd
512mb Corsair Pc3200

After i had installed Windows XP and some other programs, the pc crashes on me and reboots. I thought this was a once off but then it continued. Sometimes it reboots by itself and then after restarting and getting to the welcome screen of XP it crashes again, sometimes doing this a number of times before it starts working.

I checked all the cables and they are fine, so i'm thinking it is a software problem.

Not sure if this is the problem, but i accidentally smudged a bit of compound (very small) onto the cpu outside of area that it was supposed to.

Thanks!!!

Turn off all cacheable features in your bios.

A small amount of extra thermal past shouldn't be the problem.

Download motherboard montior and make sure your CPU isnt rising above the temps of 60 C.

okay, i'll try that tonight when i get home...

do you think it is the cpu overheating? doesn't the pc just shut down if that's the case?

if it is the cpu overheating, how do you fix it?

So many problems can cause this its best to just check everything and such.

Usually problems like these are caused by cacheing features. It makes things faster but allows for more troubles to go wrong.

Umm and also make sure your drivers are installed correctly and are up to date. I recommend unistalling them all and reinstalling them again. It couldn't hurt.

i went and checked everything after reading up on stuff from the board, and most likely it is the mobo. going to get a replacement later today. hopefully that'll fix the problem.

my cpu temp stays around 44-48C is that okay?

Yeah cpu temp is good.

I had a mobo that would allways crash in games. Ditched that peicer.

I dont like ASUS. MSI is the best.

Going to pick it up in a minute, so fingers crossed, it will work.

Remember i had a chat to you about the Geforce 6600 series, just read an article about the 6600GT, it's as good as the base 6800 according ot the tests and costs $100 less

Will have to wait for the AGP version though.

Back
Top Bottom