free firewalls

Free? Hmm ... I personally would go with Sygate Personal Firewall which can be found HERE

Used it myself - very good in my opinion. =)

Compatable with AOL!

What about getting rid of AOL; and using the Extra Money to give to charity - and using a proper ISP to get Shareaza and Download a proper Firewall like McAfee - then when you have the money buy it properly.

~mr mixx~ said:
yeah, i heard abour seagate & zone-alarm....
they are both good !!!

If a person is using WinXP together with the *free* ZoneAlarm firewall (v5.x) they can propbably expect to have problems with running Windows ChkDsk. There is a large thread at the Zone Labs forums. You will probably need a boot-time defragger, such as Diskeeper or PerfectDisk, to run ChkDsk. Diskeeper article (very informative).

I am using the *free* Sygate Personal Firewall. I have heard good things about the *paid* OutPost f/w but I do not believe that they provide support/upgrades for the free version.

Lord you said

"Download a proper Firewall like McAfee "

Im sorry but in all of my experience with McAfee I think their firewall is junk and so is their AV program from a performance standpoint when installed on a computer or workstation. Ive run into nothing but trouble with McAfee inside and outside of work. Id recommend Symantec firewall any day over McAfee. Thats just my opinion and Im not trying to cause trouble Lord.

Cha94

Lol; am I the only one who doesn't have problems with large Corporations' Software? All the crap Freeware/Open-Source stuff (was going to say Junk :D) I have problems with, I destroy whole computers with, but when I use a huge Company's Program like McAfee, Office; even the bloody SQL Server 2005 Beta 1 Version works better than all the Open-Source Programs I have ever used! :p

Glad of it though; keeps me away from the evils.

But yeah; you can do either. McAfee works much better, were I to use any kind of Virus/Firewall Protection, than any other Program I've used for it.

Back
Top Bottom