come look at how harddrives work and more

how about some harddrive history. this is very interesting

IBM introduced the first hard disk in 1957, when data usually was stored on tapes. The first 305 RAMAC (Random Access Method of Accounting and Control) consisted of 50 platters, 24 inch diameter, with a total capacity of 5 MB, a huge storage medium for its time. It cost $35,000 annually in leasing fees (IBM would not sell it outright) and was twice the size of a refrigerator.

The RAMAC was used for calculating the results at the Olympic games in 1960. In 1962 the disks were made removable introducing the diskpack. In 1964 the CRC algorithm was in use giving a higher degree of data security on the disks.

The first model to use "float on air" technology for the read/write heads was named Winchester 3030 of 1973. So named because it was developed in Winchester, England and had two sides, each of which could store 30 MB. To some people, this designation was reminiscent of the famous Winchester 3030 repeating rifle.

Later, the disk platters shrunk to 14" and 8" diameter. They were installed in towers containing dozens of these magnetic platters
In the early years of PC development, the low cost floppy drives were the preferred storage media. But with IBM's XT in 1983-84, the hard disk became the preferred medium. The first hard disks were rather large units (5.25" diameter) and of poor quality. I have replaced numerous 5, 10 and 20 MB hard disks during 1986-88, since these early PC hard disks had an incredibly short life span. Since then they have improved a lot.

want to read more?
http://www.karbosguide.com/index.htm

Yes the MFM drives were poor, you needed to park the heads yourself etc. RLL improved things including speed, and then IDE graced us and lasted until the new challenger on the block Sata was developed.

SCSI is still the best, but the Raptors are getting there.

Fitting the Mach II wasn't the easiest thing to do and switching it on was a real heart stopper. Thankfully everything seems o.k. for now, I'll see what I can Push it too.

Back
Top Bottom