Server building

By the way thats a rip off. That CPU is overpriced.

You can get one that is faster. The p4 is faster. With a nice mobo.

Oh yeah and you can downgrade you CPU a bit if you are looking for cheaper.

NewEgg is nice but I dont know. I have bought hundreds of dollars of stuff from them but zip has nice shipping options. Since its free. NewEgg doesnt have free 2 day on anything.

well all I have to say is intel p4's are faster for servers than the AMD xp. Simply because of hyperthreading tech.

This is coming from someone who has never bought a product made by intel. And i probably never will.

But if you dont need the fastest server go with the amd xp its nearly as fast but doesnt have the multitasking capabilities.

Stick with Intel.

SCSI Harddrive is the first thing you need. IDEs, ATAs or SATAs can't multi file chase, that way servers only use SCSI drives.

My server is a dual PIII 1.0GHz, 1 Gig PC133 memory and an UltraWide SCSI. I primarily use it for my file server, as well as, a game server.

The biggest money saver on a server is the video card and sound card. No sound card is required and shouldn't be used. And get the cheapest video card on the market. You are not running games on it, so you don't need it. Plus the monitor is off much of the time anyway.

In order of importance for a server:
-Hardrive - SCSI, Ultra 160 or Ultra 320. UltraWide is good.
-Processor - Intel is a server chip, AMD is not. AMD is more for multimedia events. There are no multimedia in a server.
-Memory - lots of it. Start with 1 Gig and go up from there.
-Network card - good quality over cheap price. 10/100 is great.
-Server Software - Windows Server is easy to use, Linux is free. Both are great.
-Case - good size case...nothing to tight. Don't worry about extra fans, stock fans are more then you need (unless you are overclocking).
-Video Card - cheap is good. You don't use the video for anything other then monitor software.
-No sound - Sound is not needed and it takes up resourses to have it in your system.

And finally...a strong internet connection with awesome upspeed. Most home broadbands are VERY limited on the up speed. Check with your carrier. Don't forget about a file backup plan.

Hope this helps.

When there are multiple users chasing multiple files, YES you will need a SCSI drive.

The harddrive becomes the bottle neck. WAY before the CPU or memory.

So if you are serious about a server, a SCSI drive is highly recommended.

If you want something to call a server, then just get a home PC and give people access to whatever files and/or folders they need.

Back
Top Bottom