Server building

rakedog

Fully Optimized
guess whos back...rakedogs back...guess whos back...rakedogs back :)

accualy i suppose most of you don't know me/ don't remember me but i posted here a lot before. Lord Kalthorn should remember me though. :)

Anyways: My new project is building a server to host a variety of stuff. I know for sure I am getting a 250 Gig + hard drive, and maybe a tower case. Also all serving will be done on linux, but it will still be a dual boot to windows. However, i was wondering; what other hardware is important in a server:

Like, is RAM useful or not, is a good CPU needed, what specific internet card should i get, what kind of cooling would be best, ect. If there are any Server Hardware experts here, could I have some advice?

Thanks.

try learning how a computer works and you mught catch on. What are the variety of things your using it for?

i would go with atleast a 1 gig or RAM a xeon or dual xeon processor. SATA hard drives. Uh plenty of 80mm fans or 120 mm fans. And a nice CPU cooler.

Also a lian li case would also help. But they can be expensive. Just make sure you get a case with efficient cooling and a very nice PSU.

Well I know how a computer works, I've taken them apart and built them. What I'm wondering is what kind of harware is important to run a server. My server will host websites, IRC shells, music, ftp servers, software, music for people, and the point is to have a lot of people being able to connect without causing extra lag. To do that, what hardware would be most important. Like i said before I'm getting plenty of hardware space, but, do I need a lot of RAM, good Mobo's, ect.
Someone on a hardware channel on IRC pointed out that it would be useful to have a lot of cache on the CPU. Is that true?

Thanks

uncalled for! You dont even know what he needs it for. you think server you think big fancy computer, stop it stop it stop it :p

you need atleast 1 gig of ram from a nice manufacturerer everything you need i posted previously

well my uncle just recently built a server/god box with the following specs:

1TB OF HDD Space
1.5 Gigs Of RAM
9800 Pro 128 MB
Dual Xeon Processors
Some Giant Supermicro case with more fans then my house.

he has an ftp set up, a CS server, BF:V Server, and some business nonsense ( but who cares about that)

EDIT: Lord Kat should know everyone he post so much it brings me to tears :)

well i don't have that much money. I will get 1 gig of RAM though, and a good hard drive. I will also be buying water cooling, because the server will be sitting in my room, so has to be quiet. What i need now is a cheap mobo/CPU for those two items i will have rather limited budget..what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom