Connection Blues.

hemesh4u

Beta member
Hi there, I have been encountering an peculiar problem on my machine.Following is the configuration of my machine-

Processor-AMD Athlon XP 2400+ AT/AT Compatible
Ram-256 MB
MotherBoard- Asus with Built In Lan.
Operating System-Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 Installed.

Here is the problem-
My machine which is a part of LAN running on TCP|IP protcol suddenly sometimes stops responding to other machines and I am not able to ping

others.
It shows the connection is On in the System Tray but am unable to ping to other
machines.Unless and untill i take the rj-45 jack out and put it back
in, I cant connect to the network and cant ping anyone.But all the while the
LAN icon says its connected and shows the speed of connection(100mbps).
Also the machine is connected to a Router through a Gateway.I can't ping the GateWay but can Access the internet !!!.

Anyone got the answer?

make sure the default gateway settings of your router are pointing to the router's IP
I'd just take the gateway off if you dont need it.

go to the status of your connection and make sure it picks up teh right defualt gateway. which your router's ip for ex would be 192.168.1.1 so thats the defualt gateway you'd need. you need the right Ip settings in order to access network resources.

heres how to set the addresses,

for example if my router had the IP of:
your IP address Id select would be: 112.110.1.1
the subnet mask is inputted for you:
the defualt gateway is your router's IP. which in this case would be 112.110.1.1
and then look for the DNS servers on your routers setup....

Rest of the systems in the LAN are working fine with the same GateWay settings and Router settngs.

try to access the router's config page by typing the router's IP address if you cant access that there is a problem with your TCP/IP settings.

your routers config page is the IP address.

are you sure that you didnt use the "home networking wizard" becuase that messes with your IP settings and uses its own DHCP server instead of the router's.

set the addresses statically.

Back
Top Bottom