old computer

old'putertinker

Beta member
Hi, I bought an old computer at a garage sale. I know its a dinosaur, but then again, my technical school is teaching hardware beginning with 486 technology! :( I bought a nec ready 9616.
Most posts mentioning this antique are pre- 2000. It's in great shape, but It's also password protected. It's loaded with windows 2000 professional, which surprised me. I cant get into the sucker. I saw some instructions for using linux boot disks or taking out the cmos battery, but it seems too much trouble, because I dont even see the battery. It might be in a little plastic box jammed down in a place that's hard to get to. I'd like to see what sort of cache of old programs it's got. But I don't want anyone to get the idea I'm a hacker.
I see my Norton security going bonkers when I visit pages which describe how to defeat passwords. That's not hard to understand. I put the secondary hard drive in another computer. It was pretty boring stuff. I couldn't access the bootable hard drive- my newer computer went bonkers. (Blue screen of death)
That battery removal idea sounded hopeful. Oh well, at least the computer came with a nice set of yamaha desktop speakers. How do computer shops deal with the password problem, anyone know? Surely they can't afford to load software onto dinosaurs.

if you take the cover off and take the harddrive out you may see some jumpers, usally next to the battery that say CMOS reset & CMOS normal. put the jumpers on normal.

Is the password for getting into windows 2000?

If it is, you need a program called ERD Commander, Within this program is a Locksmith, which will unlock the password.

If it's before win2000 loads do as above, jumper on clear cmos then back to normal.

ok

I downloaded a free trial and put it on a floppy. I don't know what to do next. I can't really do anything with it since it will ask for the password even in safe mode. >>Brick wall

I guess I messed up

Duh I didn't load the right thing I got smart and opened the erd .exe and it said it would create the floppy you use. But it kind of makes me nervous thinking about using it. It says you get a license but the thing would cost 349 bucks. I'd hate to pay that much to fix a computer worth-$20.00? Not much documentation there.... Is anyone still awake?

I see. You have to have the original disk for the computer you are going to use it on...that doesn't do me any good, because NEC doesn't even support that model anymore. I guess it would be a good program to have if you were working on an expensive computer. Oh well Into the trash goes the NEC ready...<< I'm too tired to think. Bye.

old'putertinker said:
Hi, I bought an old computer at a garage sale. I know its a dinosaur, but then again, my technical school is teaching hardware beginning with 486 technology! :( I bought a nec ready 9616.
Most posts mentioning this antique are pre- 2000. It's in great shape, but It's also password protected. It's loaded with windows 2000 professional, which surprised me. I cant get into the sucker. I saw some instructions for using linux boot disks or taking out the cmos battery, but it seems too much trouble, because I dont even see the battery. It might be in a little plastic box jammed down in a place that's hard to get to. I'd like to see what sort of cache of old programs it's got. But I don't want anyone to get the idea I'm a hacker.
I see my Norton security going bonkers when I visit pages which describe how to defeat passwords. That's not hard to understand. I put the secondary hard drive in another computer. It was pretty boring stuff. I couldn't access the bootable hard drive- my newer computer went bonkers. (Blue screen of death)
That battery removal idea sounded hopeful. Oh well, at least the computer came with a nice set of yamaha desktop speakers. How do computer shops deal with the password problem, anyone know? Surely they can't afford to load software onto dinosaurs.
Start here,what time does it say? Why are people so fast to "change batteries" It only affects the clock and nothing else except the Inet.
http://www.atomsync.com/
But thats if your online with this Dino,if so your doing ok.
:)

Re: ok

old'putertinker said:
I downloaded a free trial and put it on a floppy. I don't know what to do next. I can't really do anything with it since it will ask for the password even in safe mode. >>Brick wall

The last tim I use it, You boot from the floppy (was cd with mine). When it asked for the password yuo typed in the password you Want, not what it was before.

If your still struggling ill use it on my machine and give you full details.

Back
Top Bottom