The difference in memory...

Celldamage

Solid State Member
I just bought two 512 sticks of DDR RAM the other day and I installed them in my computer and they do not work. I had a friend with a memory tester check them out and they work in the tester. I guess I just need the clarification between registerered an non-registered, ECC and non-ECC, I am at a loss, and very bummed out because I have only 256 RAM in my back-up PC.

That easy.you didn't see if or what your Motherboard uses,did you ?
Read the manual.Take it shopping.
If so i sincerally apolagise.
;)

Ram

I, ahhh, yeah it says my mobo is rated for 266/333/400 or PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 isn't that correct? This RAM is PC2100. I dunno I guess I will have to just go and kick rocks. I am a newbie, but I am learning...fast. Any more info would help.

sounds dumb, but did you clip it in right. I done this like 4years ago when i rebuilt my system. Just beeped on boot up. OR try one stick at a time. And it is non registered right?

Re: Ram

Celldamage said:
I, ahhh, yeah it says my mobo is rated for 266/333/400 or PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 isn't that correct? This RAM is PC2100. I dunno I guess I will have to just go and kick rocks. I am a newbie, but I am learning...fast. Any more info would help.
It's not about type eg PC 2100,It's more about the size your mbd slots accept.
Mine accepts 4 x 128 or 256.Any combo.
You have to know this info, A 512 will not work in mine either.
;)

it should. its more like max 3GB if PC2100 or something and 2GB is PC2700 and 1GB if PC3200. Thats most motherboards. And they should have no limit to memory sticks. Only the operating system like yours (ME) wont take higher than 512MB

Make sure your PC speaker is attached.
Try one stick at a time (no other memory installed)

If the memory has different timings, the M/B take the speed of the first stick and applies it to the other(s). Therefore if the stick in slot one is faster than the one in slot 2, they wont work as the second dimm cant keep pace.

You may have to clear your cmos before you start.

Back
Top Bottom