firewall choices

1panhead

Beta member
Any input on choosing between using software firewall or router/firewall for cable internet with Win XP

I use a router firewall. It is very easy to use, just plug and play. And it does a good job for normal users.

However, if you are a hacker and affraid of getting your information on your computer ripped off, then I would highly suggest you go back to dial-up or turn off you computer.

Windows 2000 and above (this includes XP) has a firewall built in, however I haven't been able to share files from my laptop to my desktop when i turn it on. So to me its a pain in the butt.

What is you reason for wanting or using a firewall?

Thanks, I have XP firewall off, and use a firewall/router, but to keep the computer safest on the net is what I was trying to get a general consensus on. Reading everybodys product, they all state they are the best! What really is?

Remember firwalls are to stop intruders. Just about any good namebrand is going to provide with a good firewall. The best thing to do is to change admin ID and Password for the firewall itself from the default.

That should be enough for home users. I personally use Linksys, but now I am using Netgear. The signal is better and it is easier to allow access for mmy game server on the Netgear then it was for the Linksys.

Thanks again, I guess really what I was asking folks was is software less defensive than hardware when it comes to firewalls? Right out I would think that hardware is superior due to it doesn't respond to a "ping", but should one also use sofware(XP)?

Back
Top Bottom