Major system upgrades

joe02151

Baseband Member
Hi I'm new. I have been thinking of upgrading my system that I currently have. I was wondering how much trouble this would be...I would want the following
1.) A new AMD processor but if this is too much of a hassle I can stick with my current
2.) A new case
3.) A new motherboard AMD compadable if I get an AMD processor

My current system is in my signature. Its a Dell dimension 4600, and everywhere I ask there is NO upgradable case you can buy for it because dell makes the motherboard and it has weird dimensions or something I think. Also I would like to be able to overclock my CPU but my Dell system doesnt "allow" this. And the stock Dell case that I have has extreemly poor airflow and I have had to do this to get around it http://ee.domaindlx.com/goon/cooling.jpg the fan is blowing directly into the case, which helps ALOT I have overclocked my GPU ALOT farther when I put the fan on the "high" setting hehe. And I would also like to have some sensors! I have none at all, no fan sensors no CPU sensors no GPU sensors (depends on card I guess) and no voltage sensors or anything, which I think I can get with a new motherboard. And the cpu heatsink doesn't have a fan on it which I would like to have. Basically I just want to salvage what I can from my computer like memory and all and be able to build a new computer kind of.

-thanks if you can help out.
Total Physical Memory: 768 MB PC3200
Mobo Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corp.
FSB: 533 MHz
Mobo Model: 02Y832
3DMark03- 6134

Okay finally somone who realizes how horrible dell is. They dont even conform to the atx standard.

K so you have to get a new case a new mobo and a new cpu fan.

Your cpu ram and video are still excellent. a new processor isnt worth the money right now. and the 2.8 p4 is still faster than the athlon XP in most circumstances.

mobo suggestions shuttle, msi, anything but asus. MSI is the best. The Neo is probably pretty good.

Your computer is still nice though. Only slower than ones with latest video cards.

Oh yeah and i just looked at that pic. LoL. So if its cooling and overclocking you are worried about then you should definately get new case mobo and heatsink.

Gigabyte motherboards overclock the best. And I am not really experienced with p4 heatsinks so I cant comment on that.

Watercooling is expensive but is nice.

Thanks for the response. I still need a 533 MHz fsb mobo right? to match my ram and all. I am thinking a thermaltake copper hsf. I agree with my processor being fine, if I get a new mobo I can OC it to 3 something anyway :)

if your a newbie to Oc'in get Asus. Nah amd is highest 400MHZ. But AMD's good too. IF you go with amd i'll buy your 2.8 :p (seriously)

camers said:
if your a newbie to Oc'in get Asus. Nah amd is highest 400MHZ. But AMD's good too. IF you go with amd i'll buy your 2.8 :p (seriously)

Heh, well the 2.8 is less than a month old ;)
Ok lets say I keep the cpu and ram, what speed fsb mobo would i have to get? 533?

You need a pentium mobo if your sticking with your pentium. :D

Just get a new motherboard and case, much easier :)

Back
Top Bottom