Question about CPU

iflabs

Baseband Member
I've still haven't got my custom computer to work but I may at least find the source of the problem. It looks like one of the pins broke during installation. I just have a few questions.

-Should you encounter any resistance if you want to pull out the cpu? I had to pry off mine.

-Should the computer still function at all even with a broken pin? I had troubles booting up the computer and had no video signal on the monitor.

No..you lift the leaver on the socket (i hope you did :p) and it just pops off. As for the broken pin, if its bent then get tweezers and bend it back, if its snapped. test it out.

Lol what did you use? A crowbar?

As Camers said, theres a small lever by the side, you may have broken it if you didn't use this. I wouldn't recommend building a custom computer yourself if you don't know how to remove a CPU (no offense). Good luck!

I know about the lever. At installation I probably didn't match the pins up correctly or pushed it in too hard.

But should the computer even be able to boot up at all with the cpu installed unproperly?

Not all pins are used on the CPU, so it IS possible to have a brocken pin and everything work fine, depends how lucky you are.

Yeh..dont ram it in there. Just gently sweep it around the socket trying to fit it into the pin holes and it'll just plonk right in once the pins are all matched up without you pushing it. And make sure you have the cpu the right way around :p

I used to play a game like that, there were round pegs square one's etc. Used to have a lot of fun with it , though I never managed to break anything. :D

camers said:
Yeh..dont ram it in there. Just gently sweep it around the socket trying to fit it into the pin holes and it'll just plonk right in once the pins are all matched up without you pushing it. And make sure you have the cpu the right way around :p

Trying to put things through holes, I used to have a set of blocks when I was 14 months old, I had to push the different shapes into this plastic square. Great fun.

Back
Top Bottom