please help!!

jmahdi

Solid State Member
I have to do this project for my final year, and I need the expert's tips on what and how to start doing this project, some guidelines would be appreciated, the propject aim is to write a software which will collect all the relevant Television & radio schedule information, regardless of source and save it in a common format, using XML, for further use. Such uses may include searching for specific topics or presentation in a user defined format. The second aim is to format the schedules in a way that can be displayed in an easily accessible way on a Pocket PC. This project will involve .NET programming, probably in C#.

*Television (and radio) schedules are available on the internet. They are, however, presented in different ways by each of the broadcasters.

waiting for a reply, thanks..

jay

Is this a Uni Project?
You'll probably find XML feeds are provided by each provider (if you look hard enough). This might be using some kind of news ticker system though.

The easiest way to get project guide lines would be to go to the library and look at past projects, if your having trouble finding somethen your supervisor should be able to help.

For formatting the data in a way that it can be read by pocketPC's I suggest that instead of making users make a selection about what size screen they want you should look at the HTTP_USER_AGENT headers (they are server side variables, this will allow your server to make a choice as to what format to display data in depending on what browser is used.

When displaying data on Pocket PC's or other mobile devices (E.G WAP Phones) probably the best methods (easiest to explain and use) is the HANDM method. this should take you to a google page and it should be top of the list basically its a system where you look at the capabilities of a device and generate pages to suite specific devices, based on what the manufacturers say is possible. (You'll also get a shit load of extra credit for having gone to the trouble of including research practises and methods (and supporting documentation) in your project.

If you don't mind a huge download I'll zip up my project supporting CD that contains all documentation and program code I wrote for my final year project.
It'll at least give you some example as to the size and content of a completed project. (The subject is a little different though)

root said:
Is this a Uni Project?
If you don't mind a huge download I'll zip up my project supporting CD that contains all documentation and program code I wrote for my final year project.
It'll at least give you some example as to the size and content of a completed project. (The subject is a little different though)

I don't mind, yes plzz :)

would using RSS feed be counted as porfessional practice; I mean instead of XML feed?!!!! :(

Rss feeds are used for internet news and so would probably be considered more professional that using XML data islands.

how about saving it in an xml format and then ysing this xml within my c# code (I'm not allowed to use niether xml nor rss feeds!!)....any help...

Back
Top Bottom