New Graphics Card Required

yeah, i thought we were talking 6800u?

but still, the 6800 will be around $500-550AUD which means i still can't afford it...

urgh, dat sux.
i see.
i personally would save up more for the 6800. It's worth it. and it'll last ulonger. If u think about it. In the end the 6800 will be worth it, because u will not hav to upgrade that early, and it's better performance. but ur choice in the end. BOth cards are excellent. Just that the 9800 pros hav become second gen, and are soon to become 3rd gen.

thanks for that airiox...

your right about 9800pro getting old... does the 6800 perform better? i can't find any comparison charts for 6800 to 9800 at Tomshardware...

I think i can find the 6800 at around the $500 mark... so as long as it's the 256 bit memory version, brand doesn't matter?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=3

here is a comparison using doom. As you can see its wastes it.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113

and here is some other games. Keep in mind that they are testing it against the 9800 xt which is faster than the pro.

As for the brand it will matter. That first link I gave you is a really crappy brand.

I recommend: MSI, BFG, XFX, EVGA, Gigabyte, Leadtek, Gainward, Albatron, PNY and maybe some others in that order, meaning MSI is the best but more expensive.

Any of those brands preform great though.

gee...that is a big difference for a small increase in cost... so is the 6800 best bang for buck?

i was just looking at the MSI one, great bundled games...

I think you guys have convinced me to save a bit more and spend $500 or so on the 6800...

How many pixel pipelines does the 6800 have?

It has 12 but ask tibs he says there is a way to bump it up to the full 16 possibly.

He said some Rivatuner tool might be able to unlock the other 4 piplines that have been disabled. My card just got to the plant today. I should know when I am going to get it by tommorow. Hopfully/Finally.

Yes in most tests the 6800 gives you the most band for bucks. I have only seen a few tests at high res with everything turned on where its not the best for your buck.

How much have you found these for, just curious.

yeah, just read the long article...it looked really good..

I'm goingto be using it for lower resolutions anyway like 1280 max...only got a 17in monitor...

i rang a local pc store and they sell the Winfast/Leadtek one for $575 AUD

I'm looking to get it after i come back from holiday in late Sept... so hopefully it'll drop a bit by then or ATI come up with something better...

Thanks guys, very helpful...

airiox said:
you wont be able to get the 6600 card. too bad. It is only going to be coming out in PCI Express standard is what I have read.

Its only going to be 150 bucks and totally wastes the x600. I wish they will release a AGP version.

I am guessing they will since the demand will be extremely high. And Nvidia will discover the error of their ways.

It wont be out for a bit of time though. A 9800 pro wont even compare with the features of the 6600.

Well games and programs out today dont even reach the limit of AGP, so PCI-E is kinda overkill....you might want to wait till games actually reach that limit.... and the 6600 does destroy the x600 and the 9800pro..:)

the enabling of extra pipes on the 6800 nu has been very unsuccessful. only 4 percent of people polled have been successful. none have broken their cards though, so this operation is a safe one. but most found that their pipes are hardware locked, so it cannot be unlocked through rivatuner. wE NEEd to find out how nvidia locked it, in order to be able to unlock it through hardware.

Back
Top Bottom