Computer wont stop sending and receiving bytes and other problems

railtrailblader

Beta member
I am a Windows XP user. While viewing my dial-up status window, I notice that my computer is continuously sending out bytes. My average speed is about 44.4 kps. However, even with this normal speed for a 56k modem, it often takes a long time to view web pages. I sometimes have to keep hitting the refresh key in order to receive text and images. There is a great discrepancy between the number of bytes sent and received with the former type of activity having the most bytes. I have tested various ISP and browsers, and my computer still does not stop sending out bytes. I have performed a virus scan but have come up with nothing and also checked my internet options. These problems of a sluggish connection, plus webpages not found, have baffled me since it started about two months ago.

When I type in a URL, my browser periodically goes to a tripod.sbc.html website, or something along that line, which is not even my selected starting homepage. I searched for files associated as “tripod' and upgraded the spyware/adware removal software on my computer, but have also come up with nothing thus making this one clever Trojan if that is the case. I recently tried reinstalling Internet Explorer, substituting it with Deepnet Explorer, downloaded Trojan Remover and Sybot Search and Destroy, and am now running a firewall. I noticed that when sending out a ping to test my service connection my DNS server responded well, however, my IP server only received half of the bytes sent. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin

Try hijackthis for your url problem. As for your bits and bytes :p There is no problem there, you cannot expect your connection just to be put on idle, it has to keep checking its alive and maybe stuff like msn is running as well. You will never stop a modem sending and receiving.

Spyware is not the only stuff which does constant communication-routines in windows media player real player and norton or mccaffe are always communicating. Defrag your harddrive alot-remove cookies, The redirect is often an executable on boot-check start,run,msconfig.
And remember that with broadband capturing more and more market share webmasters are putting more on pages-Ie a slower load time for 56k users.
Sometimes your isp can be slow-Doing Maintence, or there may be to many people on at once, or a dos attack can be taking place, or you might get a bad phone line. Dial up can be a pain.
Your computer could also have been dumped on to be a rogue and sending out e-mail requests

You can install ZoneAlarm (free basic edition). Once it is installed, the first time any program tries to access the Internet, it will pop up and ask you if you want to allow it. You may find some things that you didn't know were accessing the Internet.

Zone alarms ok, but when you have trojan its useless. I personaly like norton internet security :D Athlough ZA is free

railtrailblader said:
I am a Windows XP user. While viewing my dial-up status window, I notice that my computer is continuously sending out bytes. My average speed is about 44.4 kps. However, even with this normal speed for a 56k modem, it often takes a long time to view web pages. I sometimes have to keep hitting the refresh key in order to receive text and images. There is a great discrepancy between the number of bytes sent and received with the former type of activity having the most bytes. I have tested various ISP and browsers, and my computer still does not stop sending out bytes. I have performed a virus scan but have come up with nothing and also checked my internet options. These problems of a sluggish connection, plus webpages not found, have baffled me since it started about two months ago.

When I type in a URL, my browser periodically goes to a tripod.sbc.html website, or something along that line, which is not even my selected starting homepage. I searched for files associated as “tripod' and upgraded the spyware/adware removal software on my computer, but have also come up with nothing thus making this one clever Trojan if that is the case. I recently tried reinstalling Internet Explorer, substituting it with Deepnet Explorer, downloaded Trojan Remover and Sybot Search and Destroy, and am now running a firewall. I noticed that when sending out a ping to test my service connection my DNS server responded well, however, my IP server only received half of the bytes sent. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
You should be glad it is sending out bytes,thats how it works.Do you have status bar enabled ? is that what you refer to ?
You have asked about too many things in 1 post.
You must be a new user and worry too much about what you don't understand,so ask about this 1 at a time.
;)

I really don't recommend Zone Alarm. It keeps the internet rules even when you uninstall it and can cause all kinds of problems when trying to install a DECENT firewall after you've uninstalled it.

Re: computer wont stop sending bytes

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have status bar enabled. The question I should have asked is why does the number of bytes that my computer sends out, often in the millions, is much greater than the number of bytes received, which is only in the thousands? These rates never seem to approximate each other in the case of my connection speed. Working on websites before, I understand that my computer has to initiate the process of sending out the information. I believe someone, pardon the cliché, hit the nail on the head on this thread about websites limiting traffic for 56kers such as myself. Regardless of text images, I have difficulty accessing certain pages and repeatedly hit return in order to view the page.

Walter Conklin

CoMpUtaFrEek said:
Sounds like a 56K modem to me.

If it really bothers you then do a format+reinstall

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3187
Not whats asked here.
Someone is just trying to understand page loading and what a modem can and can't do.
Heres the deal,
You can have the fastest possible device,if the other end is sending to you on a 56k then your in 56k mode.period...
:D
Lets help people learn,formateing won't solve this only start it all over again.

Back
Top Bottom