upgrading my computer

geddie2480

Beta member
i am trying to upgrade my computer i have a packard bell pentium 3 457mhz 128mb ram but i need to change my motherboard cause i done have an agp slot in it can anyone give me any ideas on how to go about getting cheap parts to upgrade it please.............p.s i also want to change to athlon ive been told its faster is this true?

Yeah the barton core runs fricken hot. But I am expecting you would get a 64 model. I dont have one of those so couldnt tell you how hot it is.

chances are a new motherboard will not fit correctly in your packard bell case -new heat sinks are usually to large and hit the power supply. Plus the power supply is to low in wattage for a new board. You will most likely need a new case and power supply also.

so your saying that the pentium 3 are faster then ahtlons.
sorry man there not.

and know they do not run hotter, p4 2.8 & up.

Sort of. No The PIII isnt even close to being faster than todays athlons. I never said that. But the Barton core runs just as hot as anything else.

Just my personal opinion, but on an older computer like that, I would not invest that much money in upgrading. By the time you have spent that $$$, you could already be well on the way to a new machine.

Back
Top Bottom