AdAware? Virus or physical prob?

TheJenners

Solid State Member
I have a Dell, not sure what or how or whatever, just that I've had it for about 4 years. I got it with ME, and took that off and put 98 on because ME was aweful. That is the extent of the work I've done on it.

Here is my problem: everytime I run AdAware, it freezes at a certain point. It says Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run: LXSUPMON. Any other time it freezes up, and I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, it says something called Rpcsvr is not responding...and when it freezes during the AdAware it is both the Adaware and the Rpcsvr that are "not responding." Is this a virus or is it something else? I have no idea what Rspcvr is...and I've always had trouble with AdAware.

Please help!!

Just 1,If you mean W98 and not 98 se than thats your problem.
I suggest you do a complete install of W Me not a 98 upgrade to me and try again.
Beleive me , me is better than 98 or 98 se.
By the way "Dell stinks" now you know why.
Time for a custom i know what i want system,right.

Actually, I consider myself a fan of Dell :)

However, ME was causing my computer to crash repeatedly before I uninstalled it. I got the Blue Screen of Death several times a day...now I just get it when I try to do a scan. I know 98 was a "down"grade, but I wanted anything other than ME. So, other than picking on my OS (which will get updated to XP in a year's time), any OTHER ideas?

Thanks though

?

Just 1.
You need a friend,family or someone to guide you through this in your home town.If you are so alone than send me an email.
This is more than a Forum topic.
:confused:

If you think it may be a virus then the first thing to do you be to get a virus scanner. (www.grisoft.com -for a free one).
Once you've determined that there are no viruses then you should scan again for spyware, if you find Adaware keeps stopping anf not responding -for long periods of time, then you could consider giving Spybot Search and Destroy a go when searching.

luto is right if ou are using windows 98 first edition thi could be a part of your problem, but upgrading to second edition would be a lot better than going to ME.

I couldn't find anything free on that site. And I agree, I think 98se is much better than Me...it just had too many bugs, I'm not sure what Windows was thinking when they released that.

I have Panda Anti-virus on my computer, but it is lapsed from the end of July (yeah yeah I know) and it found a virus but he** if I could figure out how to delete it. Perhaps it does it itself?

I did just delete AdAware and d/l-ed Spy Sweeper...no problems. So it must have been Adaware *shrug*. Still getting that Rcpsvr is not responding sometimes, anyone know what the heck that it is?????

TheJenners said:
Still getting that Rcpsvr is not responding sometimes, anyone know what the heck that it is?????

Is there an extension after the Rcpsvr? I did a search for Rcpsvr on Google and got zilch which is odd.

As far as Dell goes, I don't know why everyone always tries to bash them. Your problem has nothing to do with the fact that your computer is made by Dell, it is a problem within the software. I have quite a few Dell's and the few minor problems I have had in the past were always taken care of quickly by their support (swapping out parts).

Having the same problem

I'm having the exact same problems. I've got a Dell also. Had it for nearly 2 years and this is the first time I've had problems with it. Guess you could say I'm a Dell fan also. I did have ME that I had nothing but problems with. I'm now using XP and loving it.

I ran a virus scan and came up with nothing. I'm at my wits end but do agree with techserve that it's a software problem and not a computer problem.

If you got the problem cleared up I'm eager to know what you did.

Back
Top Bottom