Dos 6.22

grooski

Beta member
Im new to this site and i had a question about loading DOS 6.22 on your computer. I have an old Dell laptop with windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 on it. I've been looking very hard to find the boot disk and all the other ones and i was wondering where to get them. I found some files from a site and i followed the directioins but it just doesn't work. I downloaded the files from windows.com. I load the boot disk (that i got from my computer)so it only had DOS and nothing else on it and now i have no idea what to do. I tried to load the setup things but it just didn't work. I would be great if you could give me some suggestions on where to get the correct download from and how to load it correctly, thanks. Oh, and does having windows on there have anyproblem on making it so you just have DOS 6.22?

I thought you wanted DOS? I'm sorry but I don't have much knowledge of such old operating systems! No offense but is there anything stopping you getting a athlon 1000+, geforce mx 400, 256mb ram system for around £100/$200 to run Windows 98/2000 ?

Well i just went down to this computer store and bought this little dell lx laptop for $50!! It had Windows 3.11 and MS DOS 6.22 and i just wanted to change it to just straight DOS 6.22

grooski said:
Well i just went down to this computer store and bought this little dell lx laptop for $50!! It had Windows 3.11 and MS DOS 6.22 and i just wanted to change it to just straight DOS 6.22
Format and install Dos,if you can
or ignore Windows,
you don't change it you "control It"
:D

Boot from the disks at bootdisk.com and then type format c: /s this will format your hard drive and copy system files so that you'll be able to boot straight into dos without the boot disk.
If you can't find what you want at bootdiskcom then you could have a go at foratting a disk and pressing create MS-DOS boot disk (if you are using windows XP on another computer).

if you go to www.nu2.nu then you'll find a whole load of 'supplementry files'...

If you want all the DOS utilities then you probably won't be able to get them very easily because Microsoft still hold licenses for them...

You could also ceck out sourceforge.net to see if there are any apps that you might like.

jeesh you guys-
windows 3.11 runs from within dos
You edit-autoexec.bat-on the command line of c:
and remove the loader for win 3.11
Then you will only boot to dos.
You don't have to format or anything.

Gary Graefen said:
jeesh you guys-
windows 3.11 runs from within dos
You edit-autoexec.bat-on the command line of c:
and remove the loader for win 3.11
Then you will only boot to dos.
You don't have to format or anything.
I'm sure your on the right track,is this not the path line in autoexec.bat
Path=C:\Dos ?
There are many lines to add to Autoexec.bat and config.sys,i have a record of my last time there.
:)
================
:p
Re format /s isn't that
copy /s A:
to a formated "floppy" Thats if Windows is still around.

I was under the impression that the guy was going to format the hard disk and/or wanted the space that the windows instalation was taking up.

Back
Top Bottom