Who wants all Topics that have past their useful value closed?

That's a really good idea...root
a thread that say's start here:Is staight and 2 the point....and locked means no clutter.

I'm so glad you appriciate my reinstall thread. Sorry if I took away your spotlight or whatever it is your wanting. I had seen the question asked about 5 times in 2 days and thought rather than having to explain it infinately, we could just link to that page. As I mention, local computer shops can charge around £105 for a Windows reinstall but obviously me saving people that money isn't appriciated by you, Root.

It's not the ponit that it took away from 'my spotlight'
what I was saying is creatnig a FAQ thread and leaving it open doesn't work because 1, pople just post anything in there.
2, people completly ignore it and start the same knid of thread over and over again.

You are the one who first mentioned the Creation of a READ HERE FIRST topic, yet you just ignore the ones that aer alerady created. -that is why an open FAQ will never work, -members (Myself included) and moderators -who are supposed to show good example (yourself included) have and will cmopletly ignore, or just generally chat in them.

Frankly I don't give a damn if you create a new thread, but if you do then it would be a lot better if you split the other 2 threads (Trade secrets and how to install windows) from the 'chat' that happened around the useless advice and actuall made a FQ resource, when properly managed FAQs are usefull resources, when left open for general posting they tun into pages of conversation with the occasional helpfull post hidden niside of conversation.

(Was that a better way to explain?)

Can people really be bothered to scan that whole topic for their specific problem? Unless they try the search tool which may pick it up? I have answered alot of questions twice so I'm doubting the search is used very often.

As for turning the thread into general chit-chat - you are joining in with this, seems quite a hipocritical statement to me. If it was a problem I would rather you PMed me and I would have been happy to lock it or tell people to stop posting random stuff in it. I'm sorry I am not a mind reader.

I have posted in your thread for people to get back on the subject of trade secrets anyway.

I don't see any - READ HERE FIRST topics? I meant for the contents of this thread to recommend users post their system information and specific errors they are recieving, how does this relate to setting an example??

I know it was hypocritical, you'll notice I did specifically say I included myself in the offenders.

TBH
It'd probably be better if you closed the thread called trade secrets. the name of it is just not descriptive enough, it's already gone off track

it'd be better if you statred a whole new thread, saying all the things that people may need to know.

If people see a thread entitled
READ HERE BEFORE POSTING!!!
then they might realise what the best way/style to [post a question is. They may also see a vast 'knowledge base' of technical support information and actually be tempted to use the search function.

The biggest problem (and why most people don't use the online search) is they have most probably already searched gogle (which indexs this site as well) and so will think that the help they require is not available.

Just to clear up, (because I don't really want to argue with you).
I agere with your post. It would be a lot better if there was a definitive place for people to start,
what I am saying is the only way this can work effectivly is if it is properly managed, and in all likelyhood this will mean it has to be locked and people have to PM mods in order to get then to post comments for them.

Ah right yeh yeh I get you sorry. Right so I think from here we go this route:

I'll close the thread called trade secrets after you PM me the new one, put a note about keeping it clean/pure trade secrets. And Mods will delete any posts off that subject, I'll put a link to it on the old thread and close it.

I'll create the READ HERE BEFORE POSTING PROBLEM thread, to request users use the search function, and list their problems specifically, etc.

Sound good mate? I'm glad we can sort this out without a huge drama-queen flame war, we simply got our wires crossed somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom