My Watercooling!

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, as some of you will know, I received my watercooling yesterday! Took me a little while to install it, and I would have liked having someone else's opinion first! So I'm doing a kind of casual review for anyone considering it!

I purchased an all-inclusive kit because I didn't want the hassle of buying everything separately, the kit is the “Asetek WaterChill CPU/VGA Cooling kit KT18-L20” for £104 new from ebay. The kit includes: CPU Block, VGA Block, Reservoir, Pump, Radiator & Fan, 1 metre of tubing, bottle of anti-algae fluid, screws and attachments.

What each component does: The Blocks conduct the heat from the processor/graphics card. The reservoir is useful for filling the kit and removing air bubbles from the system. The pump obviously pumps the water around the system. The radiator cools the water with the provided fan.

Putting together the kit wasn't much of a problem, although space is a slight issue. The reservoir & pump together are a rather awkward shape and the radiator is BIG were talking… 5 inches wide, 6 inches long, and about 3 inches high, it may not sound big, but if you think about where that could go in a computer, there's not many places! So I decided to place the pump and reservoir under the floppy drive, and the radiator on top of my PC! It's a fine setup and doesn't look weird or anything, I'll post pictures when my girlfriend next comes round! The tubes look amazing and my computer looks very smooth and high-tech, especially with the neon glow from the internal light strip! Beware that the little magic-box that comes with the pump needs a floppy drive connection to start up simultaneously with the computer.

Well I'm sure you're wondering if it's any good or not! Well, before I was running my 2200+ (mobile t-bred core) at 2200mhz on air with an “Akasa 825-Carnival”at about 59oC idle (yes to hot I know!) but now I'm at around 41oC! An almost 20oC drop is very impressive in my opinion! This is with arctic silver 5 though, and I believe T-bred mobiles are known for running hotter than the Bartons.
I don't know about my graphics card, but the amount of heat reduction by feel is amazing, and the stock cooler on my 5900U was incredibly noisy.

In conclusion it's an impressive piece of kit and people may argue, “Why spend £100+ on cooling?” Well if you use your PC a lot, it's much quieter, gives better stability and performance gains you can't get out of processors any other way. I'd only really recommend it for the overclocking community though :D

Please post any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks mate! I would sticky but it only applies to my system. Maybe I will sum up watercooling one day, or put a more formal article on playfordnet but until then, the lucky ones will read this first draft :D

great, you and geforce have realy made me know watercooling is the right way to go!

im proberly gunna get my PC reasonably better 1st though, i want my memoryyy!

aww dude, if only i had an extra £50 id get ur memory

Unlucky mate :( it's killa stuff.

Hehe I can't believe everything is at that price already, its only been up a day and all the £80 reserves have been met! :D

so like why you selling, what you need the money for? Its a killa setup! You aint turned to drugs ? :p

Back
Top Bottom