Problems with starting up system

iflabs

Baseband Member
I've just installed everything for a custom computer. Now I'm having problems trying to start it up.

I have to hold onto the power button for 45 seconds before it'll boot up correctly. If I just push it, I hear a *click* while the system gets a boot up for one second before going dead again.

I believe that it's probably the power led connecting to the motherboard. The motherboard has 3 pins for it while the plug only has 2 pins from the case. Anyone help?

I have a Intel "D865GBFLK" i865G Mobo and a Antec life style model "sonata" case.

you said the power led only has two pins, does the plug have 3 hole but only 2 wires? if not the ONLY way is to buy another led.Because my power led has 3 hole plug with only 2 wires.

Try switching the plug over 1 - onto the different 2 of 3. Refer to the manual for the correct places for all the little wires, it can be hard getting it right! Check everything is seated properly.

Okay, let me go over this again. I have here a small video clip of what happens when I try to turn on my computer. That's what happens if I hold down onto the power button. After 30 seconds or so have passed, it'll boot correctly.

http://www.geocities.com/iflabs2000/pccustom.MOV

The power led connection I believe may be the problem to this but I'm not 100% sure. So I took a picture of the setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/iflabs2000/pic002.jpg

The power led plug from the case has only 2 wires but 3 hole spaces. The 2 pins of the wire is seperated by one empty hole in the middle. This makes it incompatible for pins 2 and 4 of the mother board (as pictured in circle 2).

The manual for the mobo also specified another pin slot named "Power LED" (pins 1 and 3). Now this one has 2 pins sticking out with a space between the pins. This makes it compatible with case power led wire. As of now I have it connected to that set of pins (pictured in circle 1).

I'm not sure if the information above is relevant to fixing the problem but it's something. Any suggestions to fixing the problem would be great.

or maybe power suppy, do you have a spair. If you do switch them, because I build computers and they run with no power led and hard drive led. OK. :)

Since the power led is irrelevant for proper boot up of the system I doubt it's the cause of the main problem. But it is a indication that there's something wrong.

I want to fix the problem so that the computer boots up with one touch of the power button which is not happening. Even after booting (after the stabily booting, the fans and leds work noramlly), nothing shows up on the monitor either.

Any suggestions on a possible source of error?

if nothing shows up on screen maybe its your motherboard, maybe power suppy. if led works its not that, works without on anyway.
check motherboard:(

Could you post a full specs on your system?

You sure you have thermal paste on there?

Back
Top Bottom