Xeons

yes we have a load of desktops here at work that have Xeons in them, they are PII form though so I'm not sure what the advanaces are since they we bought. -They came into our office some three years ago.
They are OK, there is no noticable difference in speed when compared to any other desktop in the company.

I had a desktop Zeon system in my last computer. I actaully had a $8,000 system and it quite plainly kicked ass!!!

Dual Zeon (P4 format), 2 gigs of memory, Ultra320 SCSI RAID 0 and an Oxygen OpenGL something (I forgot the model but the video card was $3,200 by itself). This system kicked ass. I don't think I needed a system that powerful, but they had a the same system for all modeling and analysis by design. I used it to model and design testing fixtures for our porducts.

This computer actually showed up as 4 logical processors in my Windows XP Pro.

Bottom line...yes, you can use them as a home computer just the same as you would any other computer.

BTW...HT (Hyper-Thread) is two logical processors in one physical CPU. I love and use mine all the time. I can ALT-TAB bewteen windows programs and games (i.e. Counter-Strike and UT2004) without seeing any loss of performance at all.

Back
Top Bottom