Kazaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamix

Fully Optimized
Is kazaa legal? there has been loads of speculation about it, i think it is legal because it is just ppl sharing their files, wat do u ppl think about it?

This is what I read somewhere

Kazaa is leagal, the reason Kazaa is legal is because of a 'landmark' case Sony won in the early 80s. Sony's case was film companies were trying to sue because Sony were making Video machines that had record buttons, the film companies said that because Sony supplied record buttons making it possible to record films from the TV then they were encouraging Video Piracy and therefore Sony were at fault and would have to pay -it's easier to go after the large corperation than it is to go after individuals.
Now Sharman networks (who created Kazaa) are hiding behind that same loophole, just because they created a technoogy that would enable illegal file sharing doesn't mean that they are guilty of encouraging Piracy. (Many people say Bit Torrent is illegal yet companies use it for cheap distribution of software).
so, Kazaa is not illegal.
sharing and downloading copyrighted material (without paying the license holder) is illegal.

Well thats wat most ppl do on kazaa download copyrighted stuff, because if they wanted freeware they could just download it of somit like donwload.com, i bet 99% of the downloads of Kazaa are illegal. I have looked on kazaa's website and there is loads of stuff here http://www.kazaa.com/us/help/100percent_legal.htm to say it is 100% legal, i dont think kazaa can be shut down because it clearly says in Kazaa's terms of use that "Use of the software to download copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright owner may be illegal in many jurisdictions"

yes, thats what I'm saying, the actual Kazaa software has legitimate purposes.
If freeware manufactures had any sense then surly they'd distribute software Via Kazaa anyway! you can get greate download speeds when there are loads of people sharing a file, and I'm sure nobody minds giving up a few kb of upstream for the easier distribution of free and usefull software.

I read somewhere that since the goverment can't monitor
all kazza and related sites.

They have launched a group org. that can monitor large file transfers, and intersept the flow of data.

Screwing up the data that is being transfered, and also i heard they have a program that comes in through the data transfer and can reek havoc on your coumputer.

So i just stay away from file sharing, but to each it's own...I just don't trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom