Over-Write Hard Drive

razsports

Beta member
Hi,

I've read it all. That being said, which software out there really works in over-writting your hard drive? I have personal information on my hard drive such as taxes. I'd like to over-write my hard drive so no person(not even an expert) can recover my taxes and credit card information.

Please help me. Thanks.

Well first I would get a program like DVD decrypter and rip a bunch of DVD's and fill up every last kilobyte on your hard drive, then I would use some sort of software to totally nuke it.

"Well first I would get a program like DVD decrypter and rip a bunch of DVD's and fill up every last kilobyte on your hard drive, then I would use some sort of software to totally nuke it."

How is this done? This won't destroy my hard drive?

Well this is all assuming you have a DVD drive and atleast one DVD.

First delete all the files you dont want. I recommend deleleting every file on you hard drive.

Then just take a dvd stick it in your dvd drive and run dvd decrypter to make an iso of this disk.
Just copy the iso untill ALL the space is full.
Then one all the space is full you can delete the ISO's and all you personal info should be gone. so noone can ever access it again, even an expert.

Then get one of those programs that is good at erasing files if you really want. Its not nesscary though.

If you mean that you wish to truly blank your HD, then you need to download a utility like IBM's DFT (drive fitness test). This has the ability to write 0's to all the sectors.

Now you may find this hard to believe, but experts can still get data off drives even when they have been formatted 5 times. Due to the nature of the magnetic media. So you will need to do this at least 6 times and it takes quite a while.

Taxes eh? Say no more... ;)

What Gibant said is really all that can be done. Beyond destroying the Hard Drive. I can't see any data thats non-Military or Governmental which would need such a wipe though?

Really folks,fdisk and format it.If this worrys you so much then remove it and get a new hard drive.My taxes are on mine,are you hideing something,i'm not.
The big ? is , do you want to save this info ?
It probably can be saved to a floppy if it's inet tax fileing.
:eek:

go to dban.sourceforge.net...

there is a freeprogram there that will completly (irrecoverably) erase your hard disk.
it writes to each and every bit 1's and 0's five times, thats a kind of standard...
download the floppy creating EXE file, run the setup and it'll create a boot disk for you. just put it in and restart...
(make sure you've saved anything you want cause there really is no getting it back)

Back
Top Bottom