I think my power supply blew up.... can you help me?

Mental Liberator

Fully Optimized
I have a pentium 4 3.0 Ghz CPU and.. a 400 watt power supply now I was just using it, and it just turned off, now I just got this computer today so, I don't know whats wrong with it or anything, so I waited about 4 hours and it still doesn't turn on... Now when i try to turn it on, the fan light blinks for like a second, and I just keep tellin my self that its not broken... can anyone help me???

hmmm, what kind of powersupply is it? Its the brand not the watts that matters.

My freind bought two or three crappy PS before he realized that it wasnt worth it after 500w powersupplies would fail after a month.

not a very good powersupply a nice one would cost more than the case alone.

a $50 should suit fine.

so... am i 100% sure that my power supply is kabloooy? because i just spent over 800 bucks on this comp... so im just wondering if its really done for, and this power supply shal go to hell for pooping on me the first day i get my computer!!

That is a bad ass case-I loved it!

Trouble shooting power problems is tough and not so tough.
One technique is to remove all pci and isa cards one at a time and see if the computer will boot.
The other is try a known good power supply.
If your cpu is blown you won't boot.
An improper bios setting can cause immediate shutdown.
A short could cause immediate shutdown.
Some of your possibilities

In checking your store you have a 12 month warranty-call em.

1-888-888-9842

TigerDirect Support

well do you have another psu sitting around somewhere that you can test it with, or a friends. If not try disabling or taking out all unessacary components and see if it boots.

A powersupple that comes with a case unless its an antec, is going to be a peice of hud.

your most trusted brand is antec, i have a thermaltake and it works great. anything over 40 bucks should do quite well but just make sure you get a good brand if you do.

ya i have another power supply, should i just test that to see if it works? what if its only like 300 ?? watts won't it blow up or something? ive bin using it for some time now, my old power suppy has bin going strong for 2 years, i leave it on for months and doesn't have problems... so if i test it, there should be no problem? like my old power supply blowing up, because i need that old one to..... helpppppppp

Don't hook up any cd drives or floppies or harddrives.
Unhook the power cable from each-then try the 300 watter. Just to see if you get a boot screen-If you do, bad power supply-If you don't keep looking.

Well All I can say I ran a Geforce 4, AMD XP, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, 2 WD 80gig HD's, and an Audigy 2 on a antec 300 w psu for two years. The psu still works.

You probably should be fine testing your comp with that psu.

Back
Top Bottom