push the power button...nothing

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
well...almost nothing, the exhaust fan and the cpu fan spin for about a half a second and then quit, but only when I unplug it and let the light on the mobo go out (Asus). If I push the power button after it's been plugged in for a few mins, it won't do anything, no fans, no nothing.
I haven't tried anything yet, this is just a preliminary diagnosis, but I think it might be the power supply, any thoughts? The light on the motherboard is on, like I mentioned before, thats what has me stumped. It's an Athlon XP 2400, and I don't know the exact model of the mobo, but it's an Asus. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Tom

Check :-
That the Cmos jumper is on Normal and not clear (see manual).

The graphics card is seated properly.

Memory is in the correct slot and aslo seated properly.

Connect PC speaker & remember the sequence and length of any beeps.

you're not gonna believe this. I was messing around with it earlier today, looking, checking wires, cards etc......I couldn't get it to do anything, push the button and it is like it isn't even plugged in, though it is..anyway, tonight my friend tries her computer and it works, fires right up, I'm like WTF....lol Anyway, maybe I did something when I was pushing on cards and wires and such to see if they were loose, but it works now and I can't believe it....I'm starting to think the rig is haunted.....lmao keep sending your suggestions, not sure if it's fixed just yet...thanks

Tom

Gonna sound crazy but...
try unplugging a few things for a while.

Unplug your exhaust fan.
if there is a graphics card fan unplug it for a while.
leave only one hard disk plugged in.
unplug the CD drive.
I'm talking real bare bones.

Now switch it on. if it comes on then you know that the thermal/current limiting protection in the power supply is comming on pretty much from that start and you'll need to spend a little bit on a power supply.
check here for an idea of the size of power supply you should use in a PC.

Any beeps/noises from the mobo?
If it has been shorted, some will not post for a few hours to allow static to settle etc for safety. That may have been the problem

Some atx power supplies have a timing circuit which will not reset for several minutes. A short or power discrepency will cause the power supply to shut down. It can take several minutes for it to reset and allow the unit to power on again.

Back
Top Bottom