Bios password

thewoozy

Beta member
Hi to everyone,

i'm looking for help with the following.

3 years ago, i built my system. it is an amd 1.4 thunderbird mounted on an msi k-7 master board. the bios is award version 1.1.

at the time i built it, got all the bios setting like i wanted, i then put a password on the bios (set supervisor password). unfortunately, i want to change something now and when i go into the setup, it asks for the password - which i cannot remember now and if i wrote it down, i can't remember where!

in any event, i got the manual out for the motherboard, went through it and sure enough, it tells me that if i get a box up that asks for the password, just hit enter and it will negate the password and i can then enter the setup. then i can change what i want along with changing the password.

unfortunately, hitting enter doesn't work. nothing happens.

does anyone have a solution to this. it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

thewoozy

Rest BIos:

Look in that same manual to locate where your BIOS jumper is located. Turn off your computer remove the jumper then place it into the jumper pins right next to it thus clearing out your bios. You will have to configure them again but its probably the only way.

I have a computer with a bios password I forgot, I was told I would probably need to buy a new bios chip, this is an older one, and I don't have a manual, so maybe this is true?
Anyway, Hope what airiox said solves the problem, my advise is don't put another password on it, lol:p

you know what jumpers are im sure.

If you look right around where you battery on your mobo is or you will find a set of jumpers. Usually 2. You just turn off the power and take the jumper an put it into the oppisite jumper which resets all your bios.

hmmm... I'll have to check that out. I actually havn't needed to change the bios latley, so it wasn't important, if it ever is again (which it will be) I'll have to try that;)

I think there is a way to do that with the Jumpers - search me which ones. Have you tried taking the battery out for a day or so and switching it on without the battery?

Could reflash the bios? That should reset your password, it will definately reset all other bios options.

Go to your motherboard manufacturers website and download the latest bios image for your motherboard (make sure it's the right one!!).

Put it on a floppy and boot up the computer, on the first screen press ALT+F2 to enter bios flash utility. Does it all automatically, then go into your bios and try to change it :D

I had the same problem, however all I had to do was remove the jumper and keep it out for a couple seconds and put it back in same place... it did the job.

There is a small program to crack the bios password. I have it somewhere on a CD. I got it with WinMX, and just placed a search for bios in the archives (zip,ace,rar,cab,,,) section. I mailed it to someone who needed to access his bios and it worked.
I also read that the makers of model boards have sets of default password you can use. You just have to go to there websites.

your comp is kina old, and some old comps just have a button near the battery to flash the bios, instead of a jumper

Back
Top Bottom