i need thermal help on my new pc

evaseeker

Beta member
i just bought new motherboard, cpu and memory..

abit ic7max3 with a P4E Prescott 800 FSB 1M L2C

with 512 MB Extreme memory

my cpu temp is at 50c-54c in idle state
and at 64c-67c under stress

is this normal for a prescott or not

Mine aint a prescott but with air cooling yeh it seems normal to me , not good ,but normal . buy a new heat sink and fan for it.

In a perfect world, you'd want lower temps. Depends on how perfect your world is. Those temps aren't that high and if you don't have stability issues they shouldn't be a problem, however if you wish to overclock or your having problems I'd suggest upgrading your stock cooling.

Basically those temps are ok but slightly high in my opinion. You may want to keep an eye on them if they go into the 70's then you have a problem.

I would say that is just too high. Go out and research some good heatsink fans for you specific cpu and when you find a fan you like purchase some ARTIC SILVER 5 with it.

a good place for heatsink reviews is http://frostytech.com/

airiox said:
I would say that is just too high. Go out and research some good heatsink fans for you specific cpu and when you find a fan you like purchase some ARTIC SILVER 5 with it.

a good place for heatsink reviews is http://frostytech.com/

Yeh, best way is reviews and comparisons.

AS5 is good stuff, I replaced the crappy sticky pad on my GPU with it today. Picked it up originally for a fiver off ebay :D

I think you guys are forgetting, the Prescott runs extremely hot. Intel knows they failed there. Sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between a normal P4 and a P4 Prescott

Oh yeah I almost forgot all of Intel's problems of late. They haven't been able to stabilize temps at a reasonable level.

That said its still good advice to buy a quality heatsink and some Artic Silver. But if you in the UK you can get some Shin Etsu which is even better than the Artic Silver 5.

Yeh 5 line sigs have been in place for ages , it a rule . prescott at the moment i think has more cache , but really there is something so that intel can go above 3.4 even thou some prescotts are 2.8 , 3.0 , 3.2 ,3.4 .

Yeah; Prescott has more cache and is just an updates version of the P4: Prescott is the P4 HT and P4 HT EE when it has more cache.

Personally: give me a hot Prescott to an averagely temperate Sledgehammer anyday. (Sledgehammer being AMDs version name for the FX-53)

Back
Top Bottom