Getting a new computer - Hardware Advice Needed

I don't know if you guys know this, but the game developer for Doom 3 said having PCI Express will not allow you to run Doom 3 any faster. Thought I'd just say that!

Pci express is still PCI so dont expect anything spectacular. I would never use a PCI express card. Just one mans opinion.

well by the time I need to upgrade my computer the will have a faster AGP standard. Benchmarks have proven that PCI express is not much faster.

Cuz none of the things need anything that advance yet. And it was maybe possible to scrap AGP. But PCI express will still be good for the likes of SCSI cards and other stuff.

Raid controllers will benefit more than anything. The current PCI standard hit's a limit of around 120Mb/s, that's not enough to handle two raptors in a raid 0 array, at maximum transfer rate.

Let alone the 4, 8 and 12 port sata raid cards (and SCSI). But this is, as usual, for those of us that like more power than is really necessary.

they must be making agp x16 or something .

Gibant1 Quote:
"Raid controllers will benefit more than anything. The current PCI standard hit's a limit of around 120Mb/s, that's not enough to handle two raptors in a raid 0 array, at maximum transfer rate."

whats the point in them then?

To run raid, if your motherboard dont have intergrated..

Let me give you some figures.

Single 5200 rpm 2MB cache drive, average transfer rate 27Mb/s

Raid 0 2x7k250 7200rpm pata 8Mb cache drives, average transfer rate 93.8Mb/s

Raid 0 2xRaptors 10000rpm sata 8Mb cache drives, average transfer rate 113.9Mb/s

The raptors at peak read rate, will saturate the pci bus but only just. so there wont be any real performance loss.

But when you add more drive's to an array, there will obviously be a huge bottleneck at the PCI bus.

Three Raptors would not really be any faster than 2.

Back
Top Bottom