Preventing Access

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi all
I would like to know if there is anyway to prevent access to a folder from someone that is using your computer... like making her need a password or something to access those files... is that possbile? I read something about encrytion in the help files but I am not really sure of how they work...

You need to tell us what os you are using.
If you have xp the easiest way to keep people OUT is to set up different users at boot.
If you have another os, I bury folders in numorous layers of folders where they are hard to find and not obvious.

Yeah - different Login Users is the best idea. Keep it in a Documents and Settings Folder. Even if you want to allow people safely into your My Documents Folder - you can put the folder in your Local Settings Folder in your user's Documents and Settings Folder - which will keep it safe from outside when they're looking and safe from them while they're on your acocunt with you watching.

But if you're not using XP or 2000 - then nothing beats layers and layers of complicated Folders. Or putting it in the System32 folder of windows with an obscure name - and closing down the Recently Used Files Menu on Start.

Well stupid Microsoft decided to leave out password protection of folders. The only real option is to download third party software that allows you to do this. I dont have any advise on which one is best though.

Back
Top Bottom