Replace PDC & Exchange Server

tomtom1

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone

Please I am in need of anyone help to let me know how I can do this complicated job.

We have small Network:
1) 20 PC's running Windows 2000 and XP.
2) One PDC Server runs Windows NT.4 Server (there is no BDC Server).
3) One member Server runs Windows NT.4 Server and Exchange Server 5.5.

Now we joined with other small company:
1) 10 PC's running Windows 2000 and XP.
2) One PDC Server runs Windows 2003 server.
3) One member Server runs Windows 2003 server and Exchange Server 2003.

We need to replace the new company servers with all of its Current PDC Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 OS configurations, and joint them to our Current NT.4 Network.

1) Replace the new company servers with all of its PDC Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 configurations, and joint them to our Current NT.4 Network.
2) Use the new exchange 2003 Server without changing its current configuration (change only the Exchange 2003 name to joint the NT.4 Domain)
3) Use the new Domain 2003 Server without changing its current configuration (change only the Domain 2003 name to coexist with the NT.4 Domain)
4) Move all User Accounts and all Data from NT Domain to 2003 Domain.
5) Move all Exchange 5.5 User Accounts, Mail Box's, and Public Folder ….etc to the Exchange 2003.
6) Remove the old NT.4 Domain and Exchange 5.5 from the Network.

I wish I could help you with that one; but I have no idea where to start; somebody will though.

<<< Moved to General Hardware and Software Forum: nobody will look on here - and that is where help should go ;) Should get more answers there. >>>

We need to start first with the Exchange Server, and then the PDC.

Hi, Lord Kathorn

Thanks for your response,
We need to start first with the Exchange Server, and then the PDC.

tomtom

Have you ever thought of getting some sort of network tech. to help you?

Hi, camers

I don't know what you mean by: (Have you ever thought of getting some sort of network tech. to help you?) any how my answer is NO.

But I will try to explain for you something that, actually I am trainee in small company, my supervisor gave me this project, and I'm trying to build my practice knowledge form you or anyone help.

Thanks

tomtom

You have a REAL challenge set out for you. I would do a google search for a forum for networking and administrators. I doubt anyone here has the expertise to help you.

Hi,

Thanks Gary, I agree it is a real challenge set out for me, and I will do my best to find some solutions for it.
Actually I have some outline solutions, you and others forum colleagues can make a look at it and give back some comments.

Possibilities to Join Exchange 2003 to NT.4 PDC Server
There are two options to join Exchange 2003 to NT.4 PDC Server

First option:
We can build another NT.4 Server box, set it up as a BDC. Once complete, remove it from GL-TRADE Network and promote it to the PDC. Reboot, afterwards upgrade to Windows 2003 and AD.

First Option steps
Ø Build NT.4 BDC Server.
Ø Remove the NT.4 PDC Server from network.
Ø Promote NT.4 BDC Server to NT.4 PDC Server.
Ø Upgrade to Windows 2003 and AD.
Ø Set the WINS and DNS on the server.
Ø Use the Active Directory Connector (ADC) to replicate the Exchange Server 5.5 mailboxes to Active Directory.
Ø Assign the Exchange 2003 box to the Windows 2003 Domain as the server that is running Exchange Server 5.5.
Ø Use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in to move the mailbox from the server that is running Exchange Server 5.5 to the server that is running Exchange 2003.
Ø Remove Exchange 5.5 box from Network.
Ø Assign the windows 2003 box to the Windows 2003 Domain.

Second option:
We can create a trust between the 2 domains, Use a migration tool to migrate the 5.5 users over to 2003, then do the domain rename.

Second Option steps
Ø Set the WINS and DNS on both servers.
Ø Create a trust between the NT.4 PDC Server and Windows 2003 Domain.
Ø Use the Active Directory Connector (ADC) to replicate the Exchange Server 5.5 mailboxes to Active Directory.
Ø Use the ADC and migration tools to migrate the Exchange 5.5 over to Exchange 2003.
Ø Remove Exchange 5.5 box from Network.
Ø Remove NT.4 PDC Server from Network.
Ø Rename Windows 2003 Domain to takeover the role of the NT.4 PDC Server.
Ø Reassign the Exchange 2003 box to Windows 2003 Domain new name.

tomtom

Back
Top Bottom