BIG DVD Writter problem grrrrrr...

syxxthmunky

Solid State Member
Hi,

I bought a Sony DVD Writter, model: DW-U18A from ebay, here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5110529965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

However when i put a blank DVD-R into the drive, they say 1.99 GB written already which i find strange, i bought a pack of 25 4x speed Datawrite DVDr's and 2 2x Starmedia DVD-R's that i got from my friend.

I've tried other medias such as CD-R's and CD-RW's in the same drive and they work fine with nothing written. The DVD-R's basically says "Audio CD" when i put the disk's in and when i open it, there is "Track01" written on the DVD-R's already (Yes all 27 disks say this)

Also when i eject the DVD-R's from the drive, the drive still says "AudioCD" and 1.99GB written. I tried putting the DVD-R's in my normal DVD-rom drive but the drive can't even read the disks, when i try to click ont eh drive, it says "drive cannot be accessed" or similar messege.

Does anyone know where to get the manual of this drive from as i cannot find it on the sony website. Am i suppose to configurate the DVD writter when i install it via the setup menu?

Does anyone have this problem or know how to sort it out? It's really bugging me.

Thanks in advance!

syxxthmunky said:
Hi,

I bought a Sony DVD Writter, model: DW-U18A from ebay, here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5110529965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

However when i put a blank DVD-R into the drive, they say 1.99 GB written already which i find strange, i bought a pack of 25 4x speed Datawrite DVDr's and 2 2x Starmedia DVD-R's that i got from my friend.

I've tried other medias such as CD-R's and CD-RW's in the same drive and they work fine with nothing written. The DVD-R's basically says "Audio CD" when i put the disk's in and when i open it, there is "Track01" written on the DVD-R's already (Yes all 27 disks say this)

Also when i eject the DVD-R's from the drive, the drive still says "AudioCD" and 1.99GB written. I tried putting the DVD-R's in my normal DVD-rom drive but the drive can't even read the disks, when i try to click ont eh drive, it says "drive cannot be accessed" or similar messege.

Does anyone know where to get the manual of this drive from as i cannot find it on the sony website. Am i suppose to configurate the DVD writter when i install it via the setup menu?

Does anyone have this problem or know how to sort it out? It's really bugging me.

Thanks in advance!

Have you gotten the latest driverrs for it, also, try installing it again, it might have messed up while it was being installed
:)

TheSickness said:
Have you gotten the latest driverrs for it, also, try installing it again, it might have messed up while it was being installed
I wish people would get off this "latest drivers thing."There are none,it's part of plug and play and Windows "drivers.
This is a new device,take it back and stop creating coasters.
Are you really sure it's a "dvd"burner ?
Seems like a CD-R burner to me.And your trying to burn a DVD disk.
:eek:

Barrett said:
Latest drivers do sometimes help Bluto. ): o
Did your optical drives come with a driver installation ? Mine never did and they worked instantly.Except with DOS/window 3 and 95. :eek: This was mainly to install and use a cd.Where where you in 1993 ?

Besides this seem more like a
"learning how to"
Problem
:cool:

TheSickness said:

I was searching for the latest drives and the manual on the sony website but i couldn't even find the model number of my dvd burner :(

bluto said:
I wish people would get off this "latest drivers thing."There are none,it's part of plug and play and Windows "drivers.
This is a new device,take it back and stop creating coasters.
Are you really sure it's a "dvd"burner ?
Seems like a CD-R burner to me.And your trying to burn a DVD disk.

Yeh that's what i thought too, the dvd writter is just a plug and play device, no need for other tweaks etc... i mean i had a philips cd-r-writer that was purchased 4 years ago, that was plug and play and that worked.

I've e-mailed the person who sold it to me on ebay, waiting for a reply...

It's not a CD-R burner because:

1) The description says its not, it's a DVD-R burner
2) The seller has sold these in the past before and they haven't returned it sayings it's a CD-R burner
3) It is not listed under the CD writter section on the Sony website (nor it is listed under the DVD writter section either)
4) The front of the cd tray says its a "DVD R/RW and DVD+reWritable"

syxxthmunky said:
I was searching for the latest drives and the manual on the sony website but i couldn't even find the model number of my dvd burner :(

Yeh that's what i thought too, the dvd writter is just a plug and play device, no need for other tweaks etc... i mean i had a philips cd-r-writer that was purchased 4 years ago, that was plug and play and that worked.

I've e-mailed the person who sold it to me on ebay, waiting for a reply...

It's not a CD-R burner because:

1) The description says its not, it's a DVD-R burner
2) The seller has sold these in the past before and they haven't returned it sayings it's a CD-R burner
3) It is not listed under the CD writter section on the Sony website (nor it is listed under the DVD writter section either)
4) The front of the cd tray says its a "DVD R/RW and DVD+reWritable"
Quote where you bought it.
* PLEASE NOTE: There is no software supplied with this item, this is a mistake in the listing and one we cannot change as items have been sold. So to clarify, you will only be supplied with the drive. Still the best deal on Ebay!
======
You should have quit then. :eek:
So what software are you useing.There are 2 kinds.
1 for cdr's and 1 for dvd's as far as i know.
Thats what i left out,there are cd-rw burners,dvd burners and an all in wonder cdr or dvd burner.It seem you have a combo.I don't recommend them,as you see only the cr-rw part works.
Sorry but you need a refund if you can get it and a strictly dvd burner.

bluto said:
Quote where you bought it.
* PLEASE NOTE: There is no software supplied with this item, this is a mistake in the listing and one we cannot change as items have been sold. So to clarify, you will only be supplied with the drive. Still the best deal on Ebay!
======
You should have quit then. :eek:
So what software are you useing.There are 2 kinds.
1 for cdr's and 1 for dvd's as far as i know.
Thats what i left out,there are cd-rw burners,dvd burners and an all in wonder cdr or dvd burner.It seem you have a combo.I don't recommend them,as you see only the cr-rw part works.
Sorry but you need a refund if you can get it and a strictly dvd burner.

Hmmm i never heard of a stand alone dvd writter without the cd-r feature... what's the decent/best model to get? I guess i will do that IF i can exchange this dvd writter.

As for Nero 6... I downloaded it but it keeps says "internal error" after i have dragged and dropped the files that i want to copy.

airiox said:
"The software that comes with the U18A is NTI DVD Maker, but under some circumstances, it cannot read the U18A properly when a DVD is placed in. Nero 6 seems to work ok."

That is one someone says. Maybe you should download a trial version of it.

http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

Great news all! I downloaded Nero 6 as airiox suggested me to^ and now my dvd burner works well! However whenever i insert a blank DVD-R, it still says 1.99GB is written and it displays as an audio CD with track01 written in it, god knows why it does that but hey! i can burn stuff now!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Back
Top Bottom