How hard is it to upgrade?

get _fighted

Baseband Member
Like, upgrading your comp by yourself.

I've read a few books about it, and I was wondering how hard it actually is to upgrade RAM, Processor and install a new video card (assuming its your first time doing so :D )

Thanks for any help.

if you have the knowledge, its fine. You just have to use your problem solving side when something goes wrong.

it's not hard at all actually installing the hardware, upgrading ram is just a matter of pulling out the old chip and installing a new one....done......putting in a vid card or any other card takes about 2 mins, unscrew the screw at the top, pull out the card, insert the new card, put in the screw..done

it's the actual software installation that you can really run into problems....making it work. for that you'll need to know a little about what you're doing.

I built my whole computer, dissassembled it completely for painting and then reassembled it, and that took less time than installing all the software....lol

well in your case. That p3 is holding you back. So you would basically have to upgrade everything.

Atleast your ram cpu and mobo. And your video card which i see you already are doing.

But it would only cost you like 200 bucks. I think it was you who I told this too.

If you have any questions on how or what parts just pm me or whatever.

eh.. I would just take out your hard drive and your cdr/w drive.

and just throw everything away. Replace the case, the mobo, change ram to like DDR 512 at least, get a 9800 pro or higher video card, get a AMD Athlon 3000+ with Barton core. That would give you a decent rig.

And this isn't all that hard. I"ll give you a website on how to build your computer from scratch. It's a very long site, around 29 pages i think. It helps a lot though. I read this as a guide to make my computer.
HOpe i helped.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/step/1

oh yea, just because your new at this, i want to remind you that AMD mobo's work only with AMD processors. and always look for a motherboard that is compatible with your processor. Don't get insulted, i just don't know how much you know. lol.

PM me if you want more exact prices and junk, or if you want a list on what to buy. pc .

upgrading is piss easy, usually when you buy your shit, you can talk to the tech people, they'll tell you what you need to do, and it's self explantory really, it's like a puzzle but with 5 pieces... not to hard. i never read a book or anything and just bought parts to build my comp if you want help pm me :)

thanks for all the help

so, yeah it doesn't seem so hard I guess. Just a few more questions:
1) Since I'm using a P3, I won't be able to install an Athlon?
2) You don't need to install any software when you install ram, right?
3) DDR ram can be inserted into any ram-slot-thing, right? There isnt any special requirements?
4) i've been told when upgrading it is difficult to 'break' your computer. Is this true?

Thanks once again

nope no athlon for you.
That is why we recommended upgrading your motherboard ram and cpu.
The pentium III is so old I not sure but I dont think you can use ddr ram.

In the long run it would be cheaper and faster just to do as we suggest. Unless you dont want too.

one thing you have to find out before you upgrade your PIII is how fast is your ram and your bus. Becuase you may not be able to upgrade at all unless you add a new mobo and ram.

If you are going to buy new ram you might as well upgrade your motherboard to a athlon xp chipset. It will save you money and be faster.

yes, you'll have to buy new bits. Also, maybe you'll need a new case, i aint sure. Does your power button use a spring coil thing? If it does youll need to buy a new ATX power supply and a new case. Cuz' your AT power supply wont work.

get _fighted said:
thanks for all the help

so, yeah it doesn't seem so hard I guess. Just a few more questions:
1) Since I'm using a P3, I won't be able to install an Athlon?
2) You don't need to install any software when you install ram, right?
3) DDR ram can be inserted into any ram-slot-thing, right? There isnt any special requirements?
4) i've been told when upgrading it is difficult to 'break' your computer. Is this true?

Thanks once again

you don' need software to install ram.

eh, Your using a motherboard that uses SDram, I don't remember exactly, but I don't think they're the same shape. Anyone else correct me on this if I"m wrong, but i think i remember an incident where i bought DDR ram for somebody and it wouldn't fit.

BUt on a new motherboard, of course it will fit.

When you upgrade your computer, Just make sure that you don't screw anything tooo tightly and make sure to wear an anti static wrist band (althought this is usually not needed, but better safe den sorry). And considering your new at this, make sure you know which parts are which. oh yes, and don't just go drilling holes anywhere u feel like. hehe.

Back
Top Bottom