Hard drive memory missing... HELP

walid almasri

Baseband Member
Hello, I have an MPC clientpro. It's a 2.8 GHz, XP Professional, 1.25 gigs of ram and a 40 gig hard drive. I am running Auto desk map and unreal tournament 2004..(those are the largest main programs on the pc). I have installed and uninstalled some games on this machine too. When I open My computer and look at the C drive it says that my HD is 37 gigs which is normal, but what is werid is it says I have 20 gigs of free space left. I calculated the room that all the folders on my HD are using and it came up to 8.2 gigs of used space. Now shouldnt i have about 29 gigs of free space?? any help is greatly appricated, thank you

Right click and go to properties on C drive for a proper result.

Its not possible. Check if you've missed a file in your count up - and make sure its the file on disk total you're looking at. Also, make sure you've got Hidden Files Viewed - or it won't count them. not that i can imagine you having 10Gigs of Hidden Files.

no, its true, and its the same on my dell at home. i have the hidden folders shown. on my dell computer at home, i have alot of small programs on the c drive (80 gig). it has just the os, unreal tournament, auto cad, adobe photoshop, and 10 gig partion for linux. says im down to about 40 gigs which i believe is bull cause all my stuff i dl goes on my second hd...ill upload some pics and show you all.......

Pie in the sky

Open my computer,click C and have a piece of pie.thats close enough.
1 Gb = 1024 k x 1000 = 1,024,000 kb.
you do the rest.

Ok heres the numbers. This is for my Home computer, it has two hd's an 80 gig with a 10 gig partition for linux and a second 40 gig hd

here are the numbers for my 80 gig (Hidden Folder Option is on)

ATI 32megs
DELL 78megs
Documents and Settings 990megs
PearPC 3,717megs
Program Files 1,894megs
UT2004 5,314megs
Windows 4,116megs

Total usage is 16,141 megs or 15.76 gigs (Correct?)

Now, compare that to what is shown in My computer, Where is the missing 9 gigs....!??!?

CompPic1.jpg

You arn't includeing all the hidden files then?

I suggest turning off hide system files dragging a box over all the files and selecting properties.
(that way you won't have to worry about the 1024 bytes in a kilobyte)

just looking at the visible files it appears that I have lots two gigs!
However page file along takes up a gig.
then there is system restore virus vault etc...

Back
Top Bottom