Shopping Cart

paddysloan

Beta member
im building a web-site for a college assignment. the website offers a range of clothing and other merchandise. i'm tryin to set it up so that when the site has somethign like a shopping cart function. basically the user selects an item and it is sent to the checkout. its only a protoype and it only has to sed the user to the checkout page and no firthur, i.e no actual transaction is needed. i've tried using software form the web but they all send me to external url's. does anyone know how i can set up a simple shopping cart without having to obviously link to an exteral URL?

Most of the websites on the web send you to an external location because they are in charge of the payment. Which is good, you'd do best to stay well away from credit card details etc...

if you use pay pal then you set up your own stock list as a database (or just static information on a page) then when the user click add to cart it goes to paypal where the carts are based, the items are listed in the cart according to th unique name you give them and the price is sent as well (so paypal don't keep a stock list and works soley on passed information).

when the customer is done they confirm payment and you are sent mail confirming the transaction.

IMHO this is better than trying to create your own cart and checkout system where you would have to store customer name address and credit card details, you'll have to worry about credit fraud and proove that you are taking measures to keep the data secure, there are also many other requirements to the dataprotection acts that you would have to follow if you kep any kinds of details.

if you are not using pay pal you will need to have a merchant account, it needs alot of work and cost alot of money and regestration forms, it is easier if you can use paypal

I dont think the guy will need a Merchant account as he said it is for a colleage assingment.

Back
Top Bottom