Hard Drive Troubles

StupidFly

Beta member
Here's the dealio:
I use to have an old 800 mHz Dell Celeron. I swapped out the hard drive with a Western Digital 80gb. All went well. But my Dad partitioned it into a 20 gb and a 60 gb.
Christmas of 2002 I got a new computer at one of those computer conventions. 2.4 gHz, 256 DDR RAM, 40 gb hard drive, XP Home, and a DVD ROM (sony?). Since then I've upgraded it with a nVidia GeForce 4, a Samsung CD-RW, and a Creative Audigy 5.1 sound card. I've really liked it so far.
I decided I might as well put in this 80 gb hard drive I had sitting around. And I did and all went well. I never used it though. And about a week ago I decided I wanted to load all my music onto it. So I set out to departition it. And I did do that. Everything has been deleted from the hard drive (when it was formatted). But now it says its capacity is only 1.95 GB!
What do I need to do? Please tell me all hope is not lost. Thanks.

What did you format it as? Check to see if its the same as the other partitions on your drive. Either FAT or NTSC. I've never had that problem, I would suggest trying to re-format a second time but make sure you avoid a quick format and try seeing what the options are set to for the hard drive through your BIOS.

what did you use to partition it?
sounds like you booted fro a DOS diskette and told it to make it the Maximum size, (Fat 16 has max size ~2GB).

I suggest, (since you have windows XP).
that you right click on the My computer icon.
select Manage
select Disk management from the storage branch of the tree you see.
you should be able to see the whole disk now.
you can either choose to keep or erase your smaller partition and make use of the rest of the space you can now see.
(long live NTFS 6 boo to FAT16)

StupidFly said:
Here's the dealio:
I use to have an old 800 mHz Dell Celeron. I swapped out the hard drive with a Western Digital 80gb. All went well. But my Dad partitioned it into a 20 gb and a 60 gb.
Christmas of 2002 I got a new computer at one of those computer conventions. 2.4 gHz, 256 DDR RAM, 40 gb hard drive, XP Home, and a DVD ROM (sony?). Since then I've upgraded it with a nVidia GeForce 4, a Samsung CD-RW, and a Creative Audigy 5.1 sound card. I've really liked it so far.
I decided I might as well put in this 80 gb hard drive I had sitting around. And I did and all went well. I never used it though. And about a week ago I decided I wanted to load all my music onto it. So I set out to departition it. And I did do that. Everything has been deleted from the hard drive (when it was formatted). But now it says its capacity is only 1.95 GB!
What do I need to do? Please tell me all hope is not lost. Thanks.
1.Windows version,if you don't mind.
2.Audigy 5.1 sound card
It's the speaker system thats 5.1 not SB Audigy.
3.do you have a system disk ?
Your lucky i went this far without your Windows version as the 1 st thing anyone posts. AMEN
:mad:

bluto said:
1.Windows version,if you don't mind.
2.Audigy 5.1 sound card
It's the speaker system thats 5.1 not SB Audigy.
3.do you have a system disk ?
Your lucky i went this far without your Windows version as the 1 st thing anyone posts. AMEN
:mad:
I'm not following. Seems rambled...
And I said I had XP Home

StupidFly said:
I'm not following. Seems rambled...
And I said I had XP Home
Sorry.i really messed that one up,but would like to help with sound as it's kind of an every Windows and sound card problem.
Not just XP. I have ME.
:)

Back
Top Bottom